Garden Waste Service
Due to a system upgrade the on line application form for the Garden Waste Service is temporarily unavailable. Please download an
application form, print it off and send or email to the Council offices. We apologise for any inconvenience caused. Remember to read all the information below in full before completing the application form.
Green Wheeled Bin (collected fortnightly)
This is a chargeable service at a cost of £36 per bin subscription period. The subscription period runs from 1 October to 30 September each year. There is no reduction to the payment if you subscribe to the service part way through the year. The garden waste scheme is entirely optional and residents may prefer to compost at home or take their garden waste to the local household recycling centre. For more information about composting and household recycling centres visit
If you are receiving Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, then the cost is reduced to £18 per year. However, you must provide your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support reference number on the application form.
Once you have signed up, the service is continuous unless cancelled. A renewal notice will be sent annually. Residents who have signed up to the service will receive a sticker, after payment has been received, to put onto the lid of their green garden waste bin. The property number should be written on the sticker to help with identification on collection day.
If we need to supply you with a bin, it will not necessarily be brand new as we have a practice of reusing receptacles where possible.
More information and FAQ’s about the garden waste service.
- Gloucester City Council has a closed bin policy, so your bin should be presented, on the kerbside on the day of collection, by 7am, with the lid closed.
- Any additional bags left next to the bin
will not be collected by the crew.
- To remove your bin, from the kerbside, at the end of the collection day
- Garden waste bins presented without a current sticker will not be emptied and may be retrieved.
- The Garden Waste Service is suspended for two weeks over the Christmas and New Year period.
Garden Waste Service - Full Terms and Conditions
Is the service available to all householders?
The service is available for those properties where the wheeled bin can be safely stored away from the pavement and is not classed as a hard to reach property. If you think your property may have access problems, please call or email us.
Which items will you collect?
The items we collect include:
- Grass Cuttings
- Hedge Trimmings
- Plants and cut flowers
- Twigs and small branches
- Weeds, plants, leaves and bark
- Real Christmas trees cut to fit (these should be cut no thicker than your wrist and should be cut to fit into the bin)
- Herbivore Waste (sawdust and straw bedding with droppings produced by small vegetarian animals, such as rabbits, Guinea pigs, hamsters etc).
Which items will you not collect?
The items we will not collect include:
- Food Waste (use your brown food caddy)
- Garden tools and furniture
- Soil, bricks and rubble
- Cardboard and paper
- Plastic pots and labels
- Vegetable peelings
- Animal faeces
- Plastic bags
- Soiled newspaper used for animal bedding.
Preferred payment method
In order to reduce costs and to ensure continued service, we are recommending customers sign up to an annual Direct Debit payment. You will receive confirmation of the dates for collection of payment.
Join the Garden Waste Service
Due to a system upgrade you are currently unable to apply on line for the Garden Waste Service. Please download an application form and send it by post or visit the offices, if you wish to pay by debit/credit card, cash or cheque. Alternatively if you wish to pay by direct debit please download and complete the direct debit form and return to the council offices. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Other ways to apply and pay for the Garden Waste Service
- By post:
- In person at Herbert Warehouse Reception
If using a credit card, there will be a surcharge of 1.8%, which will add 65p per bin to the total amount. If you are in receipt of Housing or Council Benefit, an extra 32p will be added, per bin, to the total amount.
- need an assisted collection. An Assisted Collection is the collection of recycling or waste containers by the collection crew from an agreed point in the front of the property and the return of the empty container back to that point. It is provided for households where there is no one living at the property who is physically able to carry the waste and recycling to the boundary for collection. The service is not available for residents that use communal bin stores
- have lost or damaged your bin
- your bin has not been emptied (Please notify us within 2 working days). Remember bins presented without a sticker will not be emptied and may be retrieved.
Where access to property is blocked and it is a public highway instruction and not the residents fault, Amey will make one further attempt within 24 hours to collect the bin. If access is still impeded the next collection will not take place until the next scheduled collection day.
firstname.lastname@example.org or ring:
General Garden Waste Subscription Enquiries
For general garden waste subscription enquiries including change of address and bin sticker queries email:
email@example.com or ring: