Gloucester Lottery


​​​​​Council Tax – Discounts​​

Reduce your bill

Your Council Tax bill may be reduced if you or someone living with you fits into one of the categories listed below. If you think you may qualify for a discount, please contact us. Some discounts require you to complete an application form, please click on one of the links below


If your circumstances change, which means you are no longer entitled to receive any of the discounts shown on your bill, you must tell us straight away.

The information you provide may be disclosed to the Audit Commission for data matching exercises for the purpose of preventing and detecting fraud. For more information please visit the National Fraud Initiative Website

Council Tax – Second Homes and Empty Properties

If your property falls into the correct category, you may receive a full exemption from Council Tax. See Second Homes and Empty Properties for information.

To claim an exemption, please contact us straight away, stating which exemption you wish to claim. In some circumstances you may need to complete a form.

Council Tax - Disabled Relief

You may get a reduction in your Council Tax if someone in your household is disabled and needs extra space or a room to meet their special needs. If you qualify, you will get a 'one-band' reduction in your bill, or if you live in Band A property a reduction equal to 1/9th of a Band D charge.

A disabled person is defined under The Council Tax (Reductions for Disabilities) Regulations 1992 as ' a person who is substantially and permanently disabled whether by illness, injury, congenital deformity or otherwise'.

Qualifying Conditions

One or more of the following must be provided at the address, which are either essential or of major importance to the disabled person, for his or her well being.

  • A room which is predominantly used by and is required for meeting the needs of the disabled person (but not a lavatory, kitchen or bathroom).
  • A second bathroom or kitchen required for meeting the needs of the disabled person.
  • Space for a wheelchair to be used indoors by the disabled person.

If you think you may qualify for a reduction in your Council Tax, please contact us straight away via​, or by telephoning 01452 396495. Alternatively, you can download an application form online. ​An officer will need to visit you at home to confirm the situation.

Single Resident Discount

If you are the only person aged 18 or over living in your property, you will qualify for a 25% discount. Download application form.​​

Status Discounts

Your Council Tax bill is worked out assuming that there are two or more adults living in the property. If a member of your household falls into one of the categories below, he/she will be disregarded for Council Tax purposes, in which case you may qualify for a 25% discount. Similarly, if there are 2 adults living in the property and they both fall into a discount category, a 50% discount may be applicable. However, if after disregarding such people, two or more adults still remain, no discount is applicable.

Persons for whom Child Benefit is payable

  • The person must be 18 years old
  • Someone must be receiving Child Benefit on behalf of this person, or would be receiving Child Benefit if the child was not in care

Download application form

Persons in Detention

A person who is :

  • detained for a short period where under the law he/she is still regarded as being resident in the property which is normally considered their home.
  • detained in a prison hospital or another place by the order of a court, but not for non-payment of Council Tax or non-payment of a fine; or under an Immigration Health Act.

Hospital Patients

  • Permanently living in a hospital (NHS hospitals or Armed Forces medical establishments).

Nursing Home or Care Home Patients

  • Permanently living in either a residential care home, nursing home or mental nursing home.
  • Receiving care or treatment at the nursing or care home.

Residents of Hostels

  • Who has his/her sole or main residence in a hostel or a night shelter, which is for people of no fixed abode.
  • Must not have a tenancy at the property.

Severely Mentally Impaired

  • Incapacity benefit
  • Attendance allowance
  • Severe disablement allowance
  • Care component of a disability living allowance (middle or higher rate)
  • An increase in disablement allowance where constant attendance is needed
  • Disabled person's tax credit
  • Unemployability supplement
  • Constant attendance allowance
  • Unemployability allowance
  • Income support including a disability premium
  • Partner is in receipt of increased Job Seekers Allowance due to the SMI person's incapacity to work

Download application form

Care Workers

  • Gives care to another person on behalf of a charity or Local Authority
  • Works for at least 24 hours per week, and is paid not more than £44 per week
  • Lives in the premises provided by the employer for the better performance of his/her job

Download application form


This relates to a person who provides care to a person who is entitled to one of the following benefits:

  • Higher rate of attendance allowance
  • Highest rate of care component of a disability living allowance
  • An increase in the rate of disablement pension
  • An increase in constant attendance allowance

The carer must live in the same property as the person for whom he/she is caring and must care for that person for at least 35 hours per week.

The person who is receiving care must not be related to the carer as a partner or spouse or son/daughter under the age of 18.

Download application form


A student is someone undertaking a full time course at a prescribed educational establishment.

A full time course is one which:

  • lasts for one academic or calendar year
  • requires attendance at an educational establishment for at least 24 weeks in that year
  • and that person's study/tuition/work experience amounts to at least 21 hours per week

A student is a person who is:

  • a foreign language assistant, or
  • undertaking a full time course of education, or
  • undertaking a qualifying course and is under 20 years old (i.e. an 18/19 year old in further education)

A student will be asked to provide a certificate issued by their educational establishment

Download application form (higher education)
Download application form (further education)

Student Nurses

Relates to a person undertaking a course which would lead to registration under the Nurses, Midwives and Health Visitors Act.

Youth Training Trainees

  • Under the age of 25
  • Undertaking a course on an approved training scheme

Download application form


  • Employed to learn a trade, business or profession
  • Undertaking a training course which leads to a qualification recognised by the National Council of Vocational Qualifications
  • Receiving a salary or allowance which is no more than £195 per week and is substantially less than the salary he/she would receive if qualified

Download application form

School or College Leaver

  • Under the age of 20
  • Has within the last year ceased undertaking a qualifying course of education since 30th April of that year

This discount will apply only until the 1st November that year.

Download application form

Visiting Forces

This relates to a person who is a member of a Visiting Force or their dependants (who are not normally resident in the UK and are not British Citizens).

Members of International Headquarters and Defence Organisations

This relates to a person or a dependant of a member of International Headquarters and Defence Organisations.

Members of Religious Communities

  • Member of a religious community whose principle occupation consists of prayer, contemplation, education or the relief of suffering
  • Has no capital income of his/her own and must be dependent on the community to provide his/her needs.

Spouses of students who are not British Citizens

A person who is not a British citizen, is the spouse / dependent of a student and is prevented by immigration rules from taking paid work or claiming benefit.


This relates to people who have diplomatic privileges or immunities, and their spouse, who is not a British Citizen.

Contact Information

  • Email us at
  • Telephone our Advice Line on 01452 396495
  • Write to us at Gloucester City Revenues & Benefits, PO Box 2017, PERSHORE, WR10 9BJ​​