Pay Your Council Tax
- By Direct Debit - We recommend you pay your council tax by direct debit from your bank account. It is the effective way of keeping our costs down whilst allowing you to pay conveniently. It saves you time and effort. You control your payments and you have the option to cancel at any time. You are also protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee. To pay this way contact 01452 396495 and we can set the direct debit up over the telephone.
- At the Post Office - You can use your payment card at any Gloucester post office. You must allow at least 5 working days for your payment to reach your council tax account.
- By PayPoint - You can now use your payment card to pay in cash at certain locations in Gloucester, such as convenience stores, service stations, etc. For a list of these places please contact our advice line on 01452 396495, or visit www.paypoint.com/locator.
- By Personal Visit - Payment facilities are located on the ground floor of Herbert Warehouse. We accept payment by cash, cheque, debit and credit card. Cheques should be made payable to 'Gloucester City Council'. Please ensure you have your payment card with you.
- By Post - Cheques made payable to 'Gloucester City Council' should be sent to Revenues Services at Herbert Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester GL1 2EQ. Please write your account reference number on the back of your cheque.
- By the Internet- Log on to the Council's website at www.gloucester.gov.uk/payments
- By Telephone - Please telephone the Automated Telephone Payment Service on 0845 155 6000 to pay by debit or credit card. This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please have your bill and card with you.
- By Email – To receive your bill by email, you will need to register your request with us. Download and complete an application form and return it to us. Once you have registered, we will send you confirmation of the email address that we will send the bill to.
Council Tax - Difficulty keeping up with payments
Tell us immediately so that we can discuss a solution with you.
Never 'sit on' your debt - we are here to help. Our staff will give you advice on your payment options. If necessary we can put you in touch with an independent debt counsellor for advice on helping you clear your debts.
- Email us at email@example.com
- Telephone our Advice Line on 01452 396495
- Write to us at Revenues Services, Herbert Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester GL1 2EQ
Please check the following:
- Are you entitled to benefits, discounts or disabled relief?
- Are you seeking debt advice from an agency such as the Citizens Advice Bureau?
- Do you qualify for the Corporate Debt Scheme?
What is the law?
The law says that the Council must take certain steps if you fail to pay on the correct dates.
Your bill requires that instalments are paid on a certain date each month and if you don't do this we have to send you a reminder. You are only allowed a maximum of 2 reminders in any one financial year. If you fail to pay your monthly instalment for the third time you will be sent a letter requesting that you pay the year's remaining balance.
If payments are not made on the correct dates we will send you a summons to appear at the Gloucester Magistrates Court. This will add costs to your account. At the hearing, a Liability Order will be granted. This simply confirms that you are the person liable to pay the tax.
A form will be sent shortly after the hearing to send back to us. This will give you an opportunity to make an offer of payment and tell us more about your income and outgoings.
After a liability order is granted, we can collect amounts due by using bailiffs, taking payments direct from wage/salary, or making deductions from income support/job seekers allowance.
Ultimately, non-payment of council tax can lead to a prison sentence.
Council Tax Support
Council Tax FAQs (PDF)
Council Tax Discounts and Exceptions
Council Exemptions for Properties