Complaints about councillors

Breaching the code of conduct

Complaints alleging that Councillors have breached their Code of Conduct must be made to the Monitoring Officer (see below) who will review it.

They will then decide whether any action should be taken and if the matter should be referred to the Hearings Sub-Committee or the Audit and Governance Committee.

How to make a complaint

Make a complaint​​

Write to: The Monitoring Officer, Gloucester City Council, PO Box 3252, Gloucester, GL1 9FW

If you would like to discuss the matter wit​h the Monitoring Officer before making a formal complaint, please call 01452 396 276.

What should I include when making a complaint?

You should say which councillor you are complaining about and why you think they are in breach of the Code of Conduct. Include as much information as possible to support your complaint, including any documents which you would like us to consider.

Please make sure you read the Council's standards arrangements in the Part 4 of the Council's Constitution before submitting your complaint.​

How will my complaint be dealt with?

If the Monitoring Officer finds that your complaint is valid, they will try to achieve an informal resolution to it which is acceptable to you.

If this is not possible, the matter can be referred to a Hearings Sub-Committee set up by the Council to hear complaints against Councillors.

If you would like further information or to discuss the matter with the Monitoring Officer, before making a formal complaint please call 01452 396 276​.

Help us improve Gloucester City Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.