How To Register
The Register of Electors is a list of the names and addresses of everyone in the City who is registered to vote. If you are not on the register you cannot vote and you may find it difficult to get credit, loans, a mortgage or bank account as the register is used by credit reference agencies.
To register you must be:
- over 16 ( but you cannot vote in an election until you are 18)
- a citizen of Britain, the Commonwealth, Irish Republic or European Union member state
Note: You will need to tell us if you move house and also renew your registration every year.
It usually takes about 5 minutes.
You may need the following, if you have them:
- your National Insurance number
- your passport if you’re a British citizen living abroad
Any questions in regards to registration, please email
Please visit https://www.yourvotematters.co.uk/ to find out more information.
- Apply online www.gov.uk/register-to-vote - this is the quickest and easiest way to register.
- Apply by telephone you can phone the elections office on 01452 396203 / 01452 396204 – you will need to have your National Insurance number to hand.
- Apply by post a form can be posted to you, you will need to complete and return this in the envelope provided.
It takes between two and seven weeks to be added to the Register, depending on when your application is received.
There are two types of Register:
- The Electoral Register
The Electoral Register lists everyone who is entitled to vote and is used for elections and other specified purposes, such as law enforcement and credit checking. Only certain people and organisations can have copies of the Electoral Register; however anyone may view this register under supervision.
- The Open Register
The Open Register is available for anyone to buy and can be used for any purpose, such as marketing. Electors can choose not to be on the Open Register by ‘opting out’ – to do this you will need to tick the ‘opt-out’ box on your Annual Canvass registration form.
"This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on this form for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further information see
Viewing the Register of Electors
The Register of Electors is held at the Council offices in Herbert Warehouse at The Docks in Gloucester where it can be viewed under supervision during normal office hours. You are not permitted to make photocopies of the Register, but notes may be made using pen and paper.
For more information or to find out if you are registered to vote please contact Democratic and Electoral Services:
Method of Contact
|Telephone:||01452 396203 or 01452 396204|
|Post:||Democratic and Electoral Services
PO Box 3252