Council plan 2017-2020
A city that works for everyone
Welcome to our council plan
This plan sets out our vision for the Council, our partners and our residents to work together to make Gloucester - A city that works for everyone. It explains what we will be doing over the next three years to achieve our ambitions as we work towards improving the lives of everyone who lives in, works in and visits Gloucester.
The framework for monitoring our success will be managed via a new performance management tool. Performance will be reported formally on a quarterly basis with opportunities for our councillors to challenge our progress and we welcome feedback from residents and partners.
March 2020 update
Delivery of the Council Plan has been strong across all priorities. As of March 2020, of the 38 actions and projects that are listed in the plan
- 26 (68%) have been completed as of March 2020
- 29 (76%) are forecast to be completed by May 2020
- 36 (94%) are forecast to be completed beyond May 2020
- 1 (3%) is on-going
- 1 (3%) is not being progressed further
The significant achievements include:
- The Council’s lead role in delivering on the regeneration priorities in the city centre including the delivery of an award-winning state of the art Transport Hub and progressing the development of Kings Quarter, including investment in a redesigned and repurposed Kings Square and Railway Station
- Working with stakeholders and partners to develop the vacant Blackfriars site, including the delivery of 300 units of student accommodation with a further 200 planned; and securing a preferred development partner for the historic Fleece complex.
- Completion of phase 1 of the redevelopment of Bakers Quay providing a new hotel and restaurant alongside the Provender building.
- Adopting the Joint Core Strategy and developing and securing Council approval for the City Plan – ensuring robust and innovative planning policy frameworks to deliver high quality physical development that deliver environmental and health benefits.
- Working with the Culture Trust and other partners to deliver a £3.1m Great Place Programme with strong delivery against the 7 programme strands including leadership capacity building, artist development, events and festivals, heritage and volunteering and cultural entrepreneurship.
- Significant investments in creating a safe and attractive City Centre, including the co-funding of City Centre Wardens with the BID; and the achievement of Purple Flag accreditation for a vibrant and safe night time economy for two years running
- The establishment of an innovative social enterprise (Podsmead CIC) who deliver a bespoke and local grass-cutting service, upskilling local people and creating employment opportunities in one of the less affluent wards in the City
- Achieving ‘green flag status’ for Robinswood Hill; Barnwood Arboretum and Saintbridge Balancing Pond and Allotments; and working with the friends group at Gloucester Park to secure green flag status in the future
- Delivering a new visitor centre at Robinswood Hill to include the Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust HQ and a volunteer hub
- Establishment of the Gloucester Community Building Collective as a means to deliver community builders in all wards; and achieving local and national recognition as a leader in strengths based approaches
- Facilitating the delivery of key housing sites in the City Centre (Black Dog Way; Greyfriars and The Barbican) for private, affordable and social housing
- Successful relocation of council staff into Shire Hall and opening a new and purpose built customer services hub (The Gateway), enabling Herbert, Kimberley and Phillpotts Warehouse complex to be repurposed in line with the regeneration priorities for the City.
- Delivering property investments in St. Oswold’s Retail park and the Eastgate Shopping Centre, achieving significant financial returns for the Council as well as supporting the City’s regeneration.
In order to ensure that we are making progress against the priorities and promises detailed in the Council Plan a quarterly performance report is produced to highlight our achievements and address any challenges. A report is also produced at the end of each financial year. See below for our most recent Performance Reports: