Can I claim?
Do I qualify?
You may qualify for Housing Benefit if any of the following apply:
- you rent your home from a housing association
- you rent your home from a private landlord
- you’re a sub-tenant or lodger
You cannot claim if you own your own home or have a mortgage
Can I make a new claim?
You can make a new claim for Housing Benefit if any of the following apply, you:
- have reached state pension age
- live in supported accommodation
- live in temporary accommodation
If none of these apply, you’ll need to claim Universal Credit for help with your rent.
Savings and investments
If you and your partner have over £16,000 in savings and investments, you will not qualify for any help towards your rent unless you are in receipt of a state pension guarantee credit.
We may be able to pay Housing Benefit for an earlier date than the date of your claim form. This is known as a “backdate” but there are only limited circumstances.
We can backdate a claim up to:
- one month for working age people
- 3 months for pensioners
How do I apply?
You should make your claim for Housing Benefit as soon as possible. Your claim start date is the Monday after we receive your claim.
Making a claim online is quick and easy.