Can I claim?

Do I qualify?

You may qualify for Housing Benefit if any of the following apply:

  • you rent your home from a housing association
  • you rent your home from a private landlord
  • you’re a sub-tenant or lodger

You cannot claim if you own your own home or have a mortgage

Can I make a new claim?

You can make a new claim for Housing Benefit if any of the following apply, you:

  • have reached state pension age
  • live in supported accommodation
  • live in temporary accommodation

If none of these apply, you’ll need to claim Universal Credit for help with your rent.

Savings and investments

If you and your partner have over £16,000 in savings and investments, you will not qualify for any help towards your rent unless you are in receipt of a state pension guarantee credit.


We may be able to pay Housing Benefit for an earlier date than the date of your claim form. This is known as a “backdate” but there are only limited circumstances.

We can backdate a claim up to:

  • one month for working age people
  • 3 months for pensioners

How do I apply?

You should make your claim for Housing Benefit as soon as possible. Your claim start date is the Monday after we receive your claim.

Making a claim online is quick and easy.

Apply for Housing Benefit

Help us improve Gloucester City Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.