What if I rent privately?
If you rent your house privately, Housing Benefit will be worked out using Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rules or your actual rent, whichever is lower.
How does LHA work?
It uses a different set of rules for working out the maximum amount of Housing Benefit you can get. The LHA rate is based on both:
- the number of bedrooms your household needs
- where you live
There are exceptions where your Housing Benefit will be decided on an individual basis by a rent officer from the Valuation Office Agency. If you:
- have meals included in your rent
- rent a caravan, mobile home or houseboat
How is the rate calculated?
To see the rate your claim will be based upon:
- search for current LHA rates by postcode
- work out the bedroom entitlement for your household