Health & Safety At Work
Statement of purpose: to secure the health, safety and welfare of people at work and to protect others against risks arising from work activities
Health and safety - awaiting update
The health and safety team provide:
- Enforcement of health and safety legislation in regulated premises in Gloucester.
- Free advice by telephone for any person requiring information about health and safety matters.
- Training including CIEH Level 2 Award in health and safety in the workplace and risk assessment workshops.
- Safer workplace, better business pack aimed at small businesses to help them focus on the risks that really matter in the workplace. The pack can be downloaded here or purchased from the health and safety team at a cost of £10 (this covers printing costs only).
The health and safety team are responsible for:
- Carrying out programmed inspections of premises.
- Investigation of the causes of incidents reported to us, with emphasis on key health and safety priorities.
- Respond to complaints and requests for advice received about poor or unsafe working conditions. The team will investigate concerns raised by both employees and members of the public.
- In performing our duties we adhere to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) guidance and we liaise with neighbouring authorities in Gloucestershire in order to promote consistency of enforcement. The service has an enforcement policy which explains have we make decisions when enforcing the law.
- Holding a register of health and safety prosecutions taken by the council over the past 5 years.
- Holding a register of cooling towers in the city of Gloucester.
- Registering (Piercing registrations) premises and operatives for tattooing, acupuncture, electrolysis, cosmetic piercing and semi-permanent skin colouring
- Tattoo Hygiene Rating Scheme
- Emergency planning