You do not have to pay business rates on empty buildings for 3 months. After this time most businesses must pay full business rates.
Some categories of unoccupied property can get extended empty property relief:
- industrial buildings are exempt for a further 3 months
- Listed buildings
- Buildings with a rateable value under £2,900
- Properties owned by charities – only if the property’s next use will be mostly for charitable purposes
- Community amateur sports club buildings – only if the next use will be mostly as a sports club
- Prohibited by law
- Vacant due to action taken on behalf of the Crown
- Ancient monuments
- Owner entitled to possession only in his capacity as personal representative of a deceased person
- Where the ratepayer is subject to insolvency
How do I apply?
Contact us at BR@gloucester.gov.uk. You must include the Business Rate account reference number in your email to us and the word reference in the subject of your email. For example 'Reference [Your Business Rate number]'