We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue we'll assume that you are happy to accept cookies.

Skip to main content

Council Tax Support


Apply for Council Tax Support

​Council Tax Support is financial assistance available for low income households who cannot afford to pay Council Tax. It replaced the previous Council Tax Benefit regulations in 2013.

Gloucester City Council run a Local Council Tax Support Scheme which broadly supports claimants at the same level that would have been available under Council Tax Benefit.

The scheme is at the discretion of the local authority so it may be necessary to make changes to the scheme to bring it in line with reforms to Housing Benefit and Universal Credit changes. Please see the scheme document detailing changes to the scheme that have been implemented from 2017/18. Key changes to the scheme were consulted on in late 2016.

Those of State Pension age will be protected from cuts to support for Council Tax.

Local Council Tax Support Scheme 2018/19

Single Person Discount

This discount is to remain under the new scheme – 25% discount

If you are the only person aged 18 or over living in your property, you will qualify for a 25% discount. Download application form.

Second Adult Rebate

Second Adult Rebate is for single people who pay Council Tax but share their home with another adult aged 18 or over who is on a low income and does not pay rent.

If you fit these circumstances, you will need to fill in a Council Tax Support application form and we will work out what help we can give you.

If you wish to claim this rebate then the person or people sharing your home must not be:

  • Your partner (married or unmarried).
  • Under 18.
  • Paying rent.
  • Liable for the Council Tax.
  • A joint owner or joint tenant.
  • Already disregarded for a discount on your Council Tax bill; for example you must not be getting a student discount of 25%.

If you would like to apply please click below and print off the application form.

Second Adult Rebate Application Form - telephone us on 01452 396440 or email benefits@gloucester.gov.uk

Change of Circumstances

If your circumstances change, it may affect the amount of Council Tax Support you get. It is important that you tell us about any changes in your circumstances in writing as soon as the change happens. Failure to do so could result in prosecution.

Contact Information

  • Email us at revenues@gloucester.gov.uk
  • Telephone our Advice Line on 01452 396495
  • Write to us at Gloucester City Revenues & Benefits, PO Box 2017, PERSHORE, WR10 9BJ​

Further Information

Help us improve Gloucester City Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.