We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue we'll assume that you are happy to accept cookies.

Skip to main content

Council Tax Discounts

Your bill may be reduced if your home has certain features which are essential, or of major importance, to an adult or child with a disability, who lives in the property. These features are:

  • a room (other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) which is used by the disabled person (e.g. a room used for dialysis equipment), or
  • an additional bathroom or kitchen required for the use of the disabled person, or
  • sufficient floor space for a wheelchair.

If you qualify we will treat your property as if it is in the valuation band below. e.g. if your property is in band C you will pay the council tax for band B. You can still get a reduction if your property is in band A.

Properties that are furnished but not occupied as anyone's main home are classed as second homes. No discount is awarded.

Unoccupied and unfurnished properties undergoing structual alteration or major repair are subject to a 25% discount for a maximum period of 12 months.

Properties which are unoccupied and unfurnished will be granted a 25% discount for up to 6 months from the date furniture is removed. The full charge will then be payable.

A 50% discount amy apply where an annexe is occupied by a relative of the council tax payer for the main property, or where it is used as part of the main property.

An exemption already exists for annexes occupied by elderly or disabled relatives.

These are properties which have been unoccupied and unfurnished for 6 months or more. No discount is awarded.

If you live alone your bill will be reduced by 25%.

If you, or someone living with you, fits into one of the categories below and there are no other adults living in the property, you could also get a reduction.

  • full time student, student nurse, apprentice, youth training trainee
  • 18-19 year old (at or just left school)
  • hospital/hospice patient (permanent)
  • residential care/nursing home resident (permanent)
  • person over the age of 18 in receipt of child benefit
  • severely mentally impaired
  • hostel/night shelter resident
  • member of religious community
  • full time carer (excluding those caring for husband, wife, partner or child)
  • person in detention
  • member of International Headquarters and Defence Organisations
  • visiting forces
  • partner of studnet who is not British
  • diplomat

To apply for a discount, please download your application form from the list below. If there is no form for your discount category or you would like further information, please contact us.


Contact Information

  • Email us at revenues@gloucester.gov.uk
  • Telephone our advice line on 01452 396495
  • Write to us at Gloucester City Revenues & Benefits, PO Box 2017, PERSHORE, WR10 9BJ​​

Help us improve Gloucester City Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.