We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue we'll assume that you are happy to accept cookies.

Skip to main content

Housing Benefit

​​Apply for Housing Benefit


Please see our Benefits advice page for advice, guidance and assistance with the full range of welfare benefits. You can also use the benefits calculator to find out how much Housing Benefit Council Tax Support you may claim.

What is Housing Benefit?

Housing Benefit helps you pay your rent if you are on a low income. The amount of housing benefit due to you is worked out by looking at:

  • How much money you have coming in.
  • Personal circumstances and the amount of rent you have to pay.
  • The amount of savings you have (more than £16,000 will normally disqualify you).
  • The number of bedrooms and occupants in the property (download our guide to this)

Try the benefits calculator to see what help you can get.

Who can claim?

  • Anyone who pays rent – you must be living in the property as your home.
  • You must be responsible for paying the rent or council tax
  • Tenants living in council property, privately rented accommodation (the allowance for these tenants is known as Local Housing Allowance (LHA) and the rates are set separately (download​ our sheet on current LHA rates), hostels and housing association accommodation.

Housing Benefit is affected if somebody is a Student or self-employed or a person from abroad.

​2016 change to backdating claims

From 1 April 2016 the law is changing so that the maximum time a housing benefit claim for a person of working age can be backdated will be one month (instead of 6 months). This will affect any claims and requests for backdated housing benefit made on or after 1 April 2016.

If you intend to claim housing benefit you should always claim as soon as possible.​

Benefit cap changes in Autumn 2016

From November 2016 the Government is changing the benefit cap. Find out about the benefit cap​.

You can find out if you might be affected by the new benefit cap by using the benefit cap calculator.


Generally, full-time students are not eligible for Housing Benefit. You may be able to get Housing Benefit if you are a student:

  • and disabled
  • or have children
  • or are of pensionable age (over 60 years)
  • or getting Income Support

If you want to claim Housing Benefit fill in a Student form with your new claim form.

Self Employed

You can apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Rebate if you or your partner are self-employed. To work out your benefits we will need:-

  • Weekly earnings figures (after tax) from your business including any other income. To work out your weekly earnings please see attached document​.
  • You must fill in a self-employment form as well as the benefit application form.
  • Your latest original audited self employed accounts. If you do not have any prepared accounts then we will need to ask you about your business expenses and earnings. There is a section on the self-employed form for you to disclose this information.

Note: If you have not been trading for a full year, we need you to give us the information for the time since your business started up to current day.

Persons from Abroad

Persons from abroad include persons who are not British citizens, and persons who have recently come to the United Kingdom.

Persons from abroad can be eligible to make a claim for Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support. In order to get benefit you must prove that you have leave to remain in the country and also satisfy the ‘habitual residency test’ along with other conditions.

Most people who are citizens of EU countries and who are ‘workers’ are entitled to benefit, however, the rules are complex.

If you are having trouble paying your rent or council tax and are not sure if you are eligible for help, make a claim.​

More information can be found through the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Do savings affect my claim?

Housing Benefits is affected if you have savings. If you and your partner have over £16,000 in savings and investments you will not qualify for any help towards your rent or Council Tax unless you are in receipt of a state pension guarantee credit. For further information please see the section on Pension Credits (link to pension credit info on Benefits advice).

If you and your partner are under 60, we do not count the first £6,000 of your savings and investments, and for every £250 over this level we will add £1 to your income.

If you or your partner are 60 or over, we do not count the first £10,000 of your savings and investments, and for every £500 over this level we will add £1 to your income.

If you and your partner receive Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance (income based) we do not count any savings and investments you have.

How do I claim?

To claim Housing Benefit you need to fill in an application form. We have an online form or alternatively you can:-

  • Ring 01452 396440 and request an application be sent to you
  • Visit Herbert Warehouse reception and ask for a form

Please note that by a partner we mean a person you are married to or a person you live with as if you are married to them, or a civil partner or a person you live with as if you are civil partners.

Non dependent is not a partner, a child or young person from the family for whom Child Benefit is in payment or a foster child/young person living in the property, a boarder, joint tenant, tenant or sub-tenant, or a carer.

Things to remember

  • Complete your application in as soon as you can.
  • Provide all the supporting evidence, we cannot pay your benefit until we have seen all the evidence we have asked for. 
  • Use the same form to claim help towards Council Tax (Council Tax Support)

Please note that you must provide original documents, not copies. We cannot pay your benefit until we have seen all the proof we have asked for.

Start date

To make sure your Housing Benefit starts from the earliest date possible, you should contact us as soon as you need benefit to tell us that you plan to claim.

Benefit Payment Dates

The payments for Housing Benefit​​ ​are made 4 weekly in arrears.

What can I do if my claim is refused?

If you are not happy with our decision about your claim for Housing Benefit, you can make an appeal by contacting our Benefits team via email benefits@gloucester.gov.uk or ringing 01452 396440.

Benefit Fraud​​

Benefit fraud is when somebody knowingly or dishonestly gets more benefit than they are entitled to. It is a criminal offence to claim benefits when you are not entitled to them. Anyone who has committed fraud can be prosecuted, and if convicted, they will have a criminal record. Some typical examples of this are when somebody:

  • Fails to tell us about a change of circumstances that will affect their entitlement
  • Gives false information in relation to their claim.
  • Misses out information from their claim

We detect fraud using a variety of means. One way is being informed directly by members of the public. The more information and detail you give us, the more likely it is that we will be able to investigate.

Your details will be kept confidential and you do not need to tell us your name, unless you want to. The person you are reporting will not be told about your involvement and you would not be needed as a witness, if the case went to court.

You can report benefit fraud to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) by telephone, using number 0800 854 440, or through ​DWP's website 

Reporting benefit fraud email: benefits@gloucester.gov.uk, Telephone Gloucester City Council Investigations Team on the confidential hotline: 01452 396413 or write to:

The Investigations Team, 
Benefits Services, 
Herbert Warehouse, 
The Docks, 
GL1 2EQ.​

Help us improve Gloucester City Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.