We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue we'll assume that you are happy to accept cookies.

Skip to main content

Council Tax support

Council Tax support is financial help for low income households who cannot afford to pay Council Tax. 

Gloucester City Council run a Local Council Tax support scheme which broadly supports claimants at the same level that would have been available under Council Tax benefit.

The scheme is at the discretion of the local authority so it may be necessary to make changes to the scheme to bring it in line with reforms to Housing Benefit and Universal Credit changes.

You can read the scheme document detailing changes that have been implemented for 2019-20.

Those of state pension age will be protected from detrimental changes to Council Tax Support.

Apply for Council Tax support

Second adult rebate

Second adult rebate is for single people who pay Council Tax but share their home with another adult aged 18 or over who is on a low income and does not pay rent.

If you fit these circumstances, you'll need to fill in a Council Tax support application and we'll work out what help we can give you.

If you wish to claim this rebate then the person or people sharing your home must not be:

  • your partner (married or unmarried)
  • under 18
  • paying rent
  • liable for the Council Tax
  • a joint owner or joint tenant
  • already disregarded for a discount on your Council Tax bill; for example you must not be getting a student discount of 25%

Apply for second adult rebate

Change of circumstances

If your circumstances change, it may affect the amount of Council Tax support you get. It's important that you tell us about any changes in your circumstances in writing as soon as the change happens. Failure to do so could result in prosecution.

Report a change of circumstances

Help us improve Gloucester City Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.