Empty properties may receive a discount but only for a limited period of time.
Unoccupied and unfurnished
Properties that are unoccupied and unfurnished:
- up to 6 months from the date the furniture is removed - 25% discount
- after 6 months – no discount (full Council Tax payable)
The discount relates to the property regardless of any change of ownership within this period.
Long term empty
If a property is unoccupied and unfurnished for 6 months or more no discount will apply and the full charge is payable.
Empty homes premium
To encourage owners of empty properties to bring them back into use an additional premium of 50% will be added if both:
- the property is unoccupied and unfurnished
- and, it's been for more than 2 years
Government guidelines means changes to the premium will be made as follows:
- increased to an extra 100% for properties empty 2 years or more from 1 April 2020
- increased to an extra 200% for properties empty 5 years or more from 1 April 2020
- increased to an extra 300% for properties empty 10 years or more from 1 April 2021
Properties that need major repairs
A property which needs or is undergoing major repair work or structural alteration to make it habitable may qualify for a discount.
A 25% discount may be awarded for up to 12 months.