Report a dangerous tree in a park or open space

We are responsible for all trees on our land.

Use this service to report trees and branches in parks and public open spaces that have fallen or are about to fall.

Report a dangerous tree 

Phone us on 01452 396 396 if the situation is extremely dangerous with an immediate risk to safety or it is the weekend or a bank holiday. 

What happens next

In an emergency situation we will instruct our tree contractor to attend the site within 2 hours to make the situation safe. 

In a non-emergency situation, we will carry out a site inspection within 20 working days. If an inspection shows that we are responsible for the tree we will aim to complete any works within 14 working days after the site visit unless our seasonal works programmes dictate otherwise.

Report a tree issue on a street, pavement or grass verge

Gloucestershire County Council Highways are responsible for all trees alongside public roads and footpaths.

In an emergency situation contact Gloucestershire County Council on 0800 051 4514 for example, a fallen tree or a tree causing an obstruction.

In a non-emergency situation use their Report it form to report your issue for example, tree roots causing damage to pavement. 

Dangerous tree on private land 

If a tree has fallen or you are concerned about the condition of the tree you should seek advice from a qualified tree surgeon or arboricultural consultant. We are not responsible for trees on private land. 

In an emergency situation you can still report a fallen tree or branch in private ownership to us where it is causing a hazard to public safety. Our tree contractor will attend the site within 2 hours to make the situation safe. We will then advise on what action you need to take. If you fail to act upon our advice, we may carry out this work on your behalf and recover the full costs for this work from you. 

If you have a tree on your land you have a duty of care to ensure that your tree does not pose a risk to people on or adjacent to your land, you must:

  • inspect your trees regularly  
  • undertake essential work where necessary 

You must remove or cut back your tree if it: 

  • blocks the view at a road junction
  • overhangs a road or footpath
  • obstructs a streetlight, traffic lights or street signs
  • is a danger to the highway

You can take the tree or branches to Hempsted Recycling Centre or employ a registered waste contractor to remove the waste.

Check the Environmental Agency's Register list of waste carriers, brokers and dealers to see if the contractor is a registered waste carrier.

Help us improve Gloucester City Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.