We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue we'll assume that you are happy to accept cookies.

Skip to main content

Statutory nuisance

What is a statutory nuisance?

Something which is unreasonable and causes substantial inference in the use or enjoyment of your property and/ or poses a threat to health. This is much more than an annoyance or something that you are aware of.

Examples of problems the council cannot deal with

One-off problems – parties, firework display (link to firework regulation – www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2004/1836/contents/made) or bonfires

  • Road traffic noise
  • Smoke from vehicles on the highway - to report a particularly smoky vehicle note down the registration number and
  • General household noise for example doors closing, talking, creaky floorboards.
  • Odour from domestic kitchens.

Statutory nuisance tends to be property based, where a person is affected regularly in that property. If something affects you whilst walking down a footpath or whilst you visit a friend would not be a statutory nuisance.

We're unable to investigate anonymous complaints.

Problems that may be considered

  • Premises in a poor state 
  • Smoke emitted from premises including bonfires
  • Fumes or gases emitted from premises
  • Dust, steam, smell or other effluvia arising from commercial premises
  • Accumulation or deposits of waste on public land
  • Animals kept in a place or manner that affects health or is a nuisance
  • Insects from commercial premises
  • Artificial light
  • Noise emitted from any premises e.g. amplified music, excessive dog barking
  • Noise emitted from or caused by a vehicle, machinery or equipment in the street e.g. car alarms

We can investigate these issues where the disturbance is severe and take formal action when the issue cannot be resolved informally.

Before you make a complaint to the city council

  • Have you tried talking to the person you believe is the source of the issue?
  • Are you in rented accommodation – report issue to them, housing providers can investigate on your behalf.
  • Information on specific issues can been accessed through the links above. 
  • The Problem Neighbours website has some useful advice on how to do this. 

If this fails, you can make a complaint to the council, but should be a last resort.

If you need to make a complaint

The first steps are to complete 2 weeks of log sheets and return to Community Wellbeing at community.wellbeing@gloucester.gov.uk or by post to Community Wellbeing, Gloucester City Council, Shire Hall, Westgate Street,Gloucester GL1 2TG.

Log sheets can be found by following the link: Nuisance log sheets

Once the log sheets are returned an officer will review them and contact you to discuss the next steps.

We also provide an informal letter than you can send to the source of the issue: Letter to source

Civil Action

Alternatively, you can take your own action through the magistrate’s court.  Further information is available on the following website:  https://noisenuisance.org/2012/04/15/

Help us improve Gloucester City Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.