Covid-19 Collection Update:
As the Garden Waste Service was affected for a number of weeks, existing subscribers will have the service extended from 1 October 2020 to 1 February 2021 at no cost. The service is now running as normal.
Green wheeled bin (collected fortnightly)
This is a chargeable service at a cost of £44 per bin subscription period. The subscription period runs from 1 October to 30 September each year.
The garden waste scheme is entirely optional and residents may prefer to compost at home or take their garden waste to the local household recycling centre. For more information about composting and household recycling centres visit www.recycleforgloucestershire.com
Please present your bin on the kerbside for 7am on the scheduled collection day. Even if the crews normally come later.
What day is our garden waste collected?
We now have a simple tool to check your bin day.
Want to sign up...
Just follow instructions here to sign up to the garden waste scheme.
If you already have a garden waste bin please ensure you fill in the details carefully on the 'Order Details' page.
In order to reduce costs and to ensure a continued service, new customers are required to sign up to an annual Direct Debit payment. You will receive confirmation of the dates for collection of payment.
If you're receiving Housing Benefit or Council Tax support, then the cost is reduced to £26 per year. However, you must provide your Housing Benefit or Council Tax support reference number on the application form.
Once you've signed up, the service is continuous unless cancelled. A renewal notice will be sent annually. Residents who have signed up to the service will receive a sticker, after payment has been received, to put onto the lid of their green garden waste bin. The property number should be written on the sticker to help with identification on collection day.
If we need to supply you with a bin, it will not necessarily be brand new as we have a practice of reusing bins where possible.
Cancelling your subscription
- Gloucester City Council has a closed bin policy, so your bin should be presented, on the kerbside on the day of collection, by 7am, with the lid closed.
- Any additional bags left next to the bin will not be collected by the crew.
- To remove your bin, from the kerbside, at the end of the collection day
- Garden waste bins presented without a current sticker will not be emptied and may be retrieved.
- The Garden Waste Service is suspended for two weeks over the Christmas and New Year period.
Is the service available to all householders?
The service is available for those properties where the wheeled bin can be safely stored away from the pavement and is not classed as a 'hard to reach property'. If you think your property may have access problems, please call or email us.
Which items we will collect?
The items we collect include:
- Grass Cuttings
- Hedge Trimmings
- Plants and cut flowers
- Twigs and small branches
- Weeds, plants, leaves and bark
- Real Christmas trees cut to fit (these should be cut no thicker than your wrist and should be cut to fit into the bin)
- Herbivore Waste (sawdust and straw bedding with droppings produced by small vegetarian animals, such as rabbits, Guinea pigs, hamsters etc).
Which items we will not collect?
The items we will not collect include:
- Food Waste (use your brown food caddy)
- Garden tools and furniture
- Soil, stones, bricks and rubble
- Cardboard and paper
- Plastic pots and labels
- Vegetable peelings
- Animal faeces
- Plastic bags
- Soiled newspaper used for animal bedding
- General rubbish
- Any type of packaging including those marked as being compostable/biodegradable/recyclable
This isn't a full list, if you have any queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Garden Waste Information:
If you are unable to present your containers at the kerbside you can apply for an assisted collection complete and return an application form. It is provided for households where there is no one living at the property who is physically able to carry the waste and recycling to the boundary for collection. The service is not available for residents that use communal bin stores.
Reporting a Missed Collection:
Please note: we only accept missed collection reports after 4pm on the day of collection and reported by 4pm the following working day. (For example if your scheduled collection is on a Monday you have from 4pm Monday until 4pm Tuesday to report the missed collection.
Where access to property is blocked and it is a public highway instruction and not the residents fault, Amey will make one further attempt within 24 hours to collect the bin. If access is still impeded the next collection will not take place until the next scheduled collection day.
Garden Waste Queries
For general garden waste subscription enquiries including change of address and bin sticker queries email: email@example.com