Member of the Independent Remuneration Panel
Gloucester City Council and Stroud District Council are looking for members of the public to join its shared Members’ Allowances Panel
The Members’ Allowances Panel is responsible for reviewing the levels of allowances paid to councillors. The operation of the panel is crucial in providing the impartiality which enables public confidence in the allowance system. The panel aims to be fair, open and effective.
Applications to join the panel are invited from interested people. You must:
- be of the highest integrity
- be able to understand and analyse complex issues
- have good literacy and numeracy skills
- be able to exercise sound judgement in considering evidence
- not be disqualified from standing as a councillor; and
- not be a councillor within the borough or employee of Stroud District Council or Gloucester City Council (or a close relative of either) or serve on any of their committees, sub-committees (for example as a co-opted member) or other joint arrangements
- not have any active connections with any political party
- be willing to attend meetings in Stroud and Gloucester and communicate regularly via email
This is not a paid position, but reasonable travel expenses will be payable.
This is a unique opportunity to be involved in an important aspect of local government, as well as gain a real insight into to the roles of councillors and the work they undertake.
How to apply
If you're interested in applying to join the panel, download and complete the application form and application pack.