It’s important that our staff feel valued, rewarded and have a welcoming and enjoyable place to work in. We offer a wide range of additional benefits that we think and are important, and we’re constantly looking for new opportunities to add more.
Family friendly benefits
We actively promote a wide range of flexible working and family friendly policies and practices.
We want all employees to have a good work-life balance, and we’re proud to offer a wide range of flexible working options including:
- flexible working policy including options such as part-time, compressed hours, job-sharing and term-time contracts
- remote working from home
- relaxed dress code
Most employees are supplied with a laptop and we’ve embraced agile working practices – empowering you to choose where, how, and when you work wherever possible.
A generous holiday allowance:
- with 24 days annual leave for all employees up to Grade F increasing to 29 after 5 years service
- 29 days annual leave for employees of Grade G and above
- option to ‘buy’ up to an extra 10 days holiday (pro-rata for part-time staff)
- take up to 2 days paid leave every year to volunteer on a range of local projects helping the city of Gloucester
Maternity and paternity leave
Extra time off for parents including:
- enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- enhanced shared parental pay
- paid compassionate leave as an extension to maternity leave where a baby is born prematurely, as part of the national ‘Smallest Things’ charity campaign
Health, well-being and support
Having healthy, happy staff is a priority for us.
Staff counselling service
We've a dedicated, inclusive Employee Assistance Programme offering 24-hour telephone and online advice, support, guidance and counselling on a wide range of issues, such as:
- family issues
- debt and gambling issues
- legal and consumer issues
- relationship advice
- medical advice
- plus a dedicated counselling service
Sport and physical activity
If you want to keep healthy our benefits include:
- a reduced rate for staff at GL1 Leisure and Fitness
- the ability to purchase bikes through Cyclescheme, saving 25-39% on bikes and accessories
Other health benefits
Keeping our staff healthy is important to us:
- we pay towards the cost of glasses and an eyesight test for computer users
- we currently offer all employees free flu jabs
The Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) is one of the largest public sector pension schemes in the UK.
It’s related to your salary and is not affected by stock market changes or performance of investments. Your contribution rate will vary depending on your pay, between 5.5% and 12.5%. We pay the cost of providing the pension, after taking into account investment returns – we generally pay in two thirds and you contribute one third.
You’ll also get life cover of three times your salary, along with financial protection for your family.
Other benefits and discounts
We offer our staff other discounts and benefits such as:
- a wide range of discounts on visitor attractions, short breaks, experiences and discounted purchases on a range of gift vouchers
- reduced rates for public transport season tickets
- regular staff social events and health and wellbeing events
- discounts on buying bikes and cycling equipment through Halfords, Cyclesolutions and 50 cycles