Apply for a Hackney Carriage and/or Private Hire Driver Licence
Hackney Carriage & Private Hire Driver Licence
Drivers are licensed for the protection and safety of the travelling public.
They wear badges, which display a licence number, a photograph and an expiry date so that you know that they are properly licensed.
They are subject to roadside checks by Council Officers and the Police.
From 1st October 2015, the Deregulation Act 2015 changed the standard duration of a Hackney Carriage and Private Hire drivers licence to 3 years. It specifies that a drivers licence may be granted for a period of less than three years but only if the Council think it is appropriate in the circumstances of an individual case.
To qualify for a licence they must:
- Have held a full, driving licence for at least 12 continuous months, immediately prior to the date of application.
- Must be 21 years of age or over.
- Have no more than 3 current penalty points on their DVLA licence.
- Not have any current and relevant criminal convictions
- Have passed a medical examination
- Have successfully completed the Driving Assessment for Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Vehicles from the DVSA or Diamond Advance tests or The Blue Lamp Trust (Please note that this will need to be renewed every ten years) - HCPH Guidance notes for new applications.
- Applicants for Private Hire must pass a Private Hire Knowledge Test
- Undertake Safeguarding Awareness Training
- Applicants for Hackney Carriage must pass a topographical knowledge test for Gloucester City and the surrounding area.
- All new applicants for a Hackney Carriage licence or a Private Hire licence will be required to pass an English language proficiency test.
- Download and read the conditions in the rule book for private hire or hackney carriage licensing:
- Download the Hackney Carriages Rule Book
- Download the Private Hire Rule Book
- Download the private hire operators rule book.
- Download the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Regulatory Guidelines.
To apply for a licence or to renew your licence, please report to the reception at Herbert Warehouse between 9am and 2.45pm Monday to Friday, with ALL your relevant documentation and payment.Please note that reception at Herbert Warehouse will be closed the last Wednesday of every month.
Before a licence can be issued, the Council must satisfy itself that the applicant is a “fit and proper” person to hold a licence. To assist the Licensing Authority in confirming your status all applications must be supported by the following:
1. Application form
- Download and complete all parts of the Application form for grant of a Hackney Carriage/Private Hire drivers badge or a Private Hire drivers badge and return to the Licensing Authority via the Customer Services Point in the main reception area of the Council Offices
- Download the Guidance Notes for New Applicants for a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Drivers Badge
2. CRB Enhanced Disclosure Application Form
- Complete a Disclosure and Barring Scheme criminal record check by completing an application from the Council Offices and submitting all necessary original supporting documents.
Drivers must complete an enhanced criminal record through the Council to apply for a hackney carriage or private hire drivers licence. For further information regarding the Disclosure and Barring Scheme (DBS) criminal record check please read the guidance notes.
If applicants cannot provide the correct identity documents to satisfy route one of the DBS process they will need to give consent to the Council to conduct an external identity check at an extra charge. Please complete the External Identity Check consent form if this applies.
- Full DVLA driving licence and photo card (if applicable) held for more than 1 year
- Passport (if foreign national this must include eligibility to work in the UK) or Birth Certificate if a British Citizen and you do not hold a Passport
- Evidence of National Insurance Number e.g. HMRC document or P45 etc.
- One additional document showing proof of current address. (See DBS Guidance notes).
3. Applicants who since the age of 18 have lived outside of the UK need to provide a certificate of good conduct from the Embassy of each country they have resided in.
4. Medical Certificate
- Download and complete the Medical Form for Application for a Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Drivers Licence or a Private Hire Drivers Licence
Your Medical must be no more than 3 months old when submitted to the Licensing Authority. The Medical must be completed on the Gloucester City Council approved form unless prior agreement is sought.
5. Information about the Driving and Vehicle Standards Agency Driving Assessment, Diamond Advance Tests for Private Hire and Taxi Drivers, The Blue Lamp Trust for Taxi Driving Assessments
- Green Penny driving assessment information
- Diamond Taxi Information
- The Blue Lamp Trust for Taxi driving assessments
6. Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Knowledge Test Pass Certificate
- Private Hire Knowledge Test Guidance
- Download an application to take the hackney carriage knowledge test here.
To arrange your knowledge test you can either book an appointment when submitting your application by completing the appropriate booking form or telephone 01452 396396 (please ensure you have your payment receipt number to hand as you will need this to book the appointment).
7. Safeguarding awareness training
Below are the dates for the safeguarding awareness courses in 2018. The course costs £35.00. To book onto one of the courses please:
- Select your date
- Email your request to the booking contact for the date from the table below.
|Date||Time||Venue||Booking contact details|
|4 December 2018||9:30 to 12:30||Civic Suite, North Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester. GL1 2EPfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|4 Feburary 2019||9:30 to 12:30||Civic Suite, North Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester. GL1 2EP|
|2 April 2019||9:30 to 12:30||Civic Suite, North Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester. GL1 2EPemail@example.com|
|10 June 2019||9:30 to 12:30||Civic Suite, North Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester. GL1 2EPfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|6 August 2019||9:30 to 12:30||Civic Suite, North Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester. GL1 2EPemail@example.com|
|8 October 2019||9:30 to 12:30||Civic Suite, North Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester. GL1 2EPfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|3 December 2019||9:30 to 12:30||Civic Suite, North Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester. GL1 2EPemail@example.com|
8. Application fee in full which can be paid by credit / debit card or cash
- Pay the appropriate fee. Check the cost by clicking on Fees and Charges 2018/2019
The application fee must be paid in full when you submit your application and this can be done at the Payment Machine also located in the main reception area of the Council Offices. Applications cannot be accepted until the correct fee is paid; a copy of the payment receipt must be taken upon application to demonstrate the correct fee had been paid.
Your CRB fee is included in the application fee. Should you need to take the appropriate additional knowledge test in order to obtain a pass certificate, you will be required to pay an additional fee.
Additional application forms: