Private Hire Operator Licence
Private Hire Operators
A private hire operator is a person making provision in the course of a business for the invitation or acceptance of bookings for Private Hire vehicles. Private Hire Operators are based at premises throughout the City and normally accept bookings over the telephone.
An operator must keep records of vehicles, drivers and all bookings at their operator base.
From 1st October 2015, the Deregulation Act 2015 changed the standard duration of a Private Hire Operator licence to 5 years. It specifies that a Private Hire Operator Licence may be granted for a period of less than five years but only if the Council think it is appropriate in the circumstances of an individual case.
The Deregulation Act 2015 also allows Private Hire Operators to sub-contract a booking to another operator who are licensed with other Councils.
The business address must be based within Gloucester City Council boundaries and must only employ drivers or vehicles that are licensed with Gloucester City Council.
How to apply
To apply for a licence or to renew your licence, please report to the reception at Herbert Warehouse between 9am and 2.45pm Monday to Friday, with ALL your relevant documentation and payment.Please note that reception at Hertbert Warehouse will be closed the last Wednesday of every month.
- Download and complete the Application Form for Grant of a Private Hire Operators Licence
- Download and read the conditions of licence for private hire operators in the private hire operators rule book.
- Pay the appropriate fee. Check the cost by clicking on Fees and Charges 2018/2019
The application fee must be paid in full when you submit your application and this can be done at the Payment Machine also located in the main reception area of the Council Offices. Applications cannot be accepted until the correct fee is paid; a copy of the payment receipt must be taken upon application to demonstrate the correct fee had been paid.
Operator fees vary dependant on the number of vehicles used within the fleet. Operators may also apply to take bookings from an additional premises within the City at an extra charge e.g. from a busy nightclub.
- Operators must complete a basic criminal record check unless they have applied for an enhanced criminal record check whilst applying for a private hire drivers licence. For further information regarding the basic criminal record check please read the guidance notes.
To operate a private hire company you will need to apply for planning permission to make sure that if your business is run from home, it will not cause nuisance or obstruction to your neighbours.
Type of work that requires an operators’ licence
Any pre-booked work such as airport transfers, hen or stag nights or work of a similar nature.
If your private hire vehicle is equipped to carry up to eight passengers, it can work under a private operator’s licence from the council. Anything above eight seats requires the licence to be obtained from the Driving and Vehicle Standards Agency.
Additional application forms:
Further details on vehicles and operators can be found on our factsheets:
- Hackney Carriage & Private Hire Vehicles - A Guide for Passengers
- Children Travelling in Taxis and Private Hire Cars