Townscape Heritage Initiative
Southgate Street Townscape Heritage Initiative
The Townscape Heritage Initiative is a £1.2 million project to improve this important gateway to the City. 75% of the funding comes from the Heritage Lottery Fund and 25% from the City Council.
The THI covers an area from St Mary DeCrypt Church, to the southern end of Southgate Street where it meets St Anne's Way. Townscape Heritage Initiative Area Plan.
The area has suffered significantly from the downturn in the economy, and a lack of investment has resulted in a decline in condition of the older buildings and the street scene. This project is designed to arrest that decline by supporting local businesses and landlords to invest in their properties, encouraging wider investment and economic activity.
The project offers grant assistance to property owners in the Southgate Street area in order to:
- reinstate lost architectural detailing (such as windows, doors, shop fronts, gates and railings) and enhance those properties where insensitive alterations have taken place;
- return vacant floor space within historic buildings into beneficial use;
- enable repairs to the external structure of buildings;
- improve the quality and design of the street scene within the City Centre;
Properties benefiting from Townscape Heritage Grants
Many properties in Gloucester have benefitted from Townscape Heritage Grants. See the complete list including before and after photos.
The project also aims to raise awareness of the historic environment and the areas special character through a range of activities open to local residents and community groups. Projects will include heritage training days, work experience in traditional building skills and local history projects with schools.
A range of information for property owners is available here.
- Southgate Street Townscape Heritage Initiative Grant Scheme
- Southgate Street shop front, shutters and sign guidance
- Southgate THI Conservation Management Plan
- Download an easy to follow Maintenance Checklist
Projects Currently Seeking Contractors
None at present.
The following is a set of resources for schools. This pack will encourage young people to appreciate the built heritage and how it reflects the City’s long and varied history. There are eight separate lessons that can be used individually or the whole pack can be completed as a terms work.
- How to use the resources
- Lesson 1 - Gloucester through the ages
- Lesson 2 - Older buildings of Southgate Street
- Lesson 3 - Old photographs
- Lesson 4 - Be a building detective
- Lesson 5 - Robert Raikes
- Lesson 6 - Map comparison
- Lesson 7 - Changes in Southgate Street
- Lesson 8 - Keeping our old buildings
- Educational Resources feedback form
Historic Buildings and the Planning Process, with a chance to meet the Conservation Officers. Details to follow.
If you have any questions or require any further assistance contact:Heritage@gloucester.gov.uk