Elected Members

1. Why I collect and use your information

 I collect and process personal information to enable me to carry out casework on behalf of individual constituents.

Data Protection legislation allows me to collect and use the personal information you give me because I am helping you in my official role as your local councillor- this is known as performance of a public task.

I am registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) as a data controller.

2. What information do I collect about you?

When I do constituency work for you, I might collect the following information in order to help you:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Contact Phone Number
  • Email address

In some cases, such as assisting you with specific issues or specific organisations, I might also need more information such as:

  • your date of birth
  • your national insurance number
  • signature
  • information about your health needs
  • details of family members

In some rare cases, I might handle the following special category data, for which I would need your consent:

  • race
  • ethnic origin
  • politics
  • religion
  • trade union membership
  • genetics
  • biometrics (where used for ID purposes)
  • health
  • sex life, or
  • sexual orientation.

3. How do I collect information?

I might collect information from you in a number of ways, for example:

  • When we meet in the community or at my surgeries
  • When you telephone me or email me
  • When you send me letters

I also have a full copy of the published Register of Electors including any alterations and a list of Overseas Electors for my electoral area which I use either in connection with my work as your Councillor or for electoral purposes.

4. How I will use your personal information

I will use your personal information to consider and respond to your request for advice, guidance or information or to respond to your enquiry or complaint.

5. Who I share your information with

I may need to pass your personal details, and the circumstances of your query/complaint to council officers in order to allow the Council to look into the issue or I may pass your query/complaint to another councillor e.g. in an adjoining ward or the county council.

Sometimes, in order to respond to your query/complaint, I may pass your personal data on to a third-party such as other local authorities, government agencies, NHS, utilities and regulators. Any third parties with whom I may share your data are obliged to keep your details securely, and to only use your data for purposes communicated to you. Where possible, I will let you know when I have done this. In some cases, it might not be possible to tell you that you information was shared because it relates to a public interest issue such as an investigation or police matter.

6. How long I keep your information for

As part of my work on your case, I will normally keep your information for up to one year after the matter has been finalised, unless there is a reason for me to keep it for a longer, for instance if I am required to do so under a legal obligation.

When I cease to be a Councillor, any information that I hold will be either passed to an appropriate council representative or securely destroyed.

7. How I keep your information secure

I will keep your information securely and will safeguard access to any information you give me.

8. Is your personal information processed overseas?

I do not usually send your personal information outside the European Economic Area. If I have to for any reason (such as using cloud computing servers with overseas data centres), I will let you know and ensure that it is done within the appropriate procedures and safeguards as set down by the Information Commissioner’s Office (the body that regulates data protection).

9. Do I use your personal information for marketing?

I will not, without your prior express consent, use your information or pass it to another organisation for marketing or sales purposes.

10. Your rights

Your information rights are set out in the law. Subject to legal exceptions, you have the right to:

  • ask for a copy of the information I hold about you
  • request that I correct or update any personal information I hold
  • ask that I erase or restrict the way I use your information

To learn more about these rights please visit the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) website at https://ico.org.uk/

If you wish to make a complaint about how I use your personal data you can contact the ICO by visiting their website or by calling 0303 123 1113.

11. How to contact me

Please contact me using the contact details available on the Council’s website if you have any queries regarding this privacy statement or how I handle your information.