Make a Freedom of Information (FOI) Request


You have the right to request any recorded information that you think we may hold.

Examples of previous requests:

  • list of of council owned buildings
  • names of the software systems we currently use
  • number of noise complaints received

If you ask for environmental information, for example carbon emissions data your request will be handled under the environmental regulations (EIR)


Before You Make a Request

You might not need to make a freedom of information (FOI) request if we have already published the information.

Search our website using key words or phrases to see if the information you want is already available, for example, business rates information.

Check our publication scheme which provides a guide to the information we routinely publish, for example, current financial information.

If your request will be concerning IT, IT Security, Attacks, Ransom, Malware and related topics, please read this document (PDF, 486.6 KB) before proceeding with your request.

Personal Information

If you want a copy of the personal information we hold about you, such as a housing benefit file, your employment record, or details of correspondence between yourself and the council, you will need to make a subject access request (DOCX, 112.3 KB).


What You Need to Know

You'll need to provide:

  • your name
  • address
  • email address (optional)
  • a detailed description of the information you want, for example, you might want all information held on a subject, or just a summary.

You can ask for information in a particular format, such as:

  • paper or electronic copies of information
  • audio format
  • large print


Make a FOI or EIR request

Email or post your request to the following:


Post: Gloucester City Council, PO Box 2017, Pershore, WR10 9BJ

Other ways to make a request

Freedom of information requests must be in writing. You can ask for environmental information in writing or by phone 01452 396 514

If you cannot make your request in writing because of a disability, contact us and we will help you to make the request another way.


What happens next?

We will acknowledge your request and may contact you if we need to ask for more information. 

We will assess your request; identify what information we hold and estimate the amount of work involved in answering it.

We aim to respond to your request within 20 working days.

We will either provide the information you have asked for or let you know if:

  • we do not hold the information you want
  • it is already publicly available where/who you can obtain it from
  • if the cost of getting the information is too high
  • we need more time
  • some or all of the information is exempt from disclosure and why


Refusing the Request

There is some sensitive information that we cannot make publicly available. The Freedom of Information Act and the Environmental Information Regulations both have a list of exemptions that can be applied in these circumstances. If this applies, we will tell you why we cannot give you some or all of the information you requested.

We can also refuse your FOI or EIR request if we think the cost of getting the information is too high. If this applies, we might ask you to be more specific so we can provide just the information you need.


Reviews and Complaints

If you are dissatisfied with the response you receive, you can request an internal review which will be carried out by someone who was not involved in the original decision. 

If you remain dissatisfied with the internal review outcome, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office under Section 50 of the Freedom of Information Act. The Information Commissioner is independent and will investigate your complaint with a view as to whether the council has applied the law correctly in your case. You can contact The Information Commissioner's Office by:

Post: Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.

Phone: 0303 123 1113



How to contact us if you need help

Phone: 01452 396 514​​


Use this service to make a freedom of information (FOI) or environmental regulations (EIR) request.