School, College Leavers or Receiving Child Benefit

Discounts for 18 and 19 year olds in full-time education or receiving child benefit.

If you’re a school or college leaver, or over 18 and receive child benefit you may be able to reduce the amount of Council Tax you need to pay.


Do I qualify?

If you’re a school or college leaver you’re not counted for Council Tax:

  • if you’re under 20 years old
  • if you left school or college after 30 April and before 31 October in any year

You will not be counted for Council Tax until 1 November of the same year.

If you’re over 18 years old and someone is entitled to child benefit for you then you are not counted for Council Tax.


What if I continue in education?

You may be considered a student if you go on to further or higher education.


How do I apply?


You can upload your application form through My Gloucester if you've linked your Council Tax account.

How to link your account?

First you'll need to sign up to My Gloucester and sign in, then you can link your Council Tax account.

Sign up for My Gloucester

Already registered?

Sign in to My Gloucester



Download and complete the correct form and send to us at You must include the Council Tax account reference number in your email to us and the word 'reference' in the subject of your email. For example 'Reference [Your Council Tax number]'



Download and complete the correct form and send to us at Gloucester City Revenues & Benefits, PO Box 2017, PERSHORE, WR10 9BJ