Report Poor Housing

Private rented housing conditions

If you rent from the private sector and your home is in poor condition, you should always speak to your landlord first to try to sort out any problems before contacting the council.

If you are unable to reach an agreement you can contact us.

The council has a statutory duty to monitor the condition of local private sector housing in Gloucester.

We do this in several ways:

  • through our officers visiting householders in their homes to diagnose defects
  • by collecting information on works carried out locally
  • by periodic large-scale surveys of local properties, such as the housing condition survey

A private housing condition survey was undertaken in 2011. The information is used to review the council’s approach to the repair, improvement and adaptation of privately rented homes in Gloucester and decide what help to give to householders for certain types of work.

Private Sector House Condition Survey (PDF, 5.2 MB)

The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) has launched a tool that helps tenants take on landlords or letting agents who are failing to repair or maintain properties to the required standard

Check how to get repairs done in your rented home - GOV.UK (

Overgrown Gardens

Most overgrown gardens are not in a serious enough condition for the Council to be able to take enforcement action to require the owner to tidy it up.

Our factsheet​ (PDF, 245.3 KB)  illustrates the types of gardens where we will consider enforcement action.

Alternatively, you could consider speaking politely to your neighbour asking them to tidy it up and perhaps, if they are elderly or disabled, you could offer your assistance to tidy the garden or put them in contact with the following agencies who may be able to help them.

Age UK:
Phone: 0800 169 2081

Care and Repair Gloucester
Phone: 01452 331 664

However, if after reading our factsheet you feel the garden is one where enforcement action can be taken, please contact or phone 01452 396 396 explaining that you've read the factsheet and you believe that the garden is so overgrown that the council will be able to take enforcement action. It would be helpful if you could also provide photographs of the garden.​

Gas safety

Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, every landlord must ensure that gas appliances and flues they provide for their tenant to use are maintained in a safe condition.

The Regulations require the landlord to arrange an annual gas safety check on installations, appliances and flues within the rented accommodation.

Only businesses registered with GAS SAFE REGISTER, formerly CORGI, should be permitted to carry out installation and maintenance of gas appliances.

You should check the contractor is on the GAS SAFE REGISTER, ask to see his card or check online or by calling 0800 408 5500.