Apply for a Dangerous and Wild Animal Licence

Any person keeping any dangerous wild animal is required to hold a licence from the Local Authority.

Certain animals are listed as being dangerous and although you can buy them, you need a Dangerous Wild Animal Licence to keep them. The aim is to ensure that where private individuals keep dangerous wild animals they do so in circumstances which create no risk to the public and safeguard the welfare of the animals.

The types of animals that require a Dangerous Wild Animal Licence are wide and varied. A full list is available from the Licensing Office and as an example it includes some primates, marsupials, carnivores, elephants, emu, ostriches, reptiles, spiders and scorpions. Foxes, the raccoon-dog and the domestic dog do not need a Dangerous Wild Animal Licence but hybrids, such as a wolf-hybrid, do require a licence because they are not considered to be a domestic dog.

The Act does not apply to dangerous wild animals kept in a zoo, circus, pet shop or registered scientific establishment as these premises are registered under their own specific legislation.


How to apply

If you want to apply for a Dangerous Wild Animal Licence please download the attached application form, complete it in full and send it together with the fee, to the Community Wellbeing Team, PO Box 2017, Pershore WR10 9BJ, or, alternatively, you can email the form to

Download the application form for a Dangerous Wild Animal Licence. (PDF, 197.9 KB)

When we have received your application and fee we will arrange to carry out the relevant inspections to make sure your premises meet the required standards.

Please contact us if you want advice upon whether you need to be licensed. We will need a stock list of the species and numbers kept and details of where the animals are kept.



The fee is currently £205​, which you must submit with your application. Please note that this does not include the veterinary inspection fee.  The fee to renew an existing licence is currently £154. You can:

Send a cheque made payable to Gloucester City Council or make a payment over the phone using your debit or credit card by calling 01452 396396.

A licence is valid for 2 years and will expire on the 31 December following the date of issue.

You can view a list of dangerous wild animals and further guidance from the Department for Environment Food & Rural Affairs.