Food Business Registration

If you own or have taken over a food business in Gloucester City, it's a legal requirement to register your business with the council at least 28 days before opening or taking ownership. Registration cannot be refused and there is no charge, but failure to register is an offence.

The details will be entered onto our register and certain details, such as type of business, address and telephone number, will be available for public inspection. Other information provided will not be publicly available.

Once you've registered, you'll need to notify us if there's a change of ownership or a change in the nature of the business or if there's a change of address at which moveable premises are kept. The new proprietor will have to complete an application form.


How do I register?

Apply online

Who needs to register?

The obligation to register and notify changes to this authority lies with the Food Business Operator in control of the food business. Businesses based in the Gloucester City area that sell, prepare, store or transport food or drink must be registered with this authority.


Why register?

All food businesses have to register unless the Food Authority determines the activities are exempt. You must notify this authority about any premises you use within the Gloucester city area for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food, including internet sales of food.

The registration of businesses used for food operations including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures, is required by law (Article 6 of Regulation EC 852/2004).

Food business means 'any undertaking, whether for profit or not, and whether public or private, carrying out any of the activities related to any stage of production, processing and distribution of food’. This would include seasonal and sporadic businesses. If you've any queries you should contact the Food Team for further help.



The majority of premises will have to be registered. However, certain premises are exempt from registration, e.g. some which are already registered for food law purposes, certain agricultural premises, motorcars, tents and marquees (but not stalls), some domestic premises and some village halls.

Operations such as the occasional handling, preparation, storage and serving of food by private persons at private events such as church, school or village fairs are also exempt.

Registration is not required when small amounts of primary products - fruits, vegetables, raw milk, honey and fishery products are supplied directly by the producer to the final consumer such as, the general public or to local retail establishments directly supplying the final consumer. You should contact the Food Team if you think you might be exempt.


What about mobile premises?

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with a permanent premises such as a shop, or warehouse you only need to tell us how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you've one or more vehicles, but no permanent premises where you operate from for example ice cream vans, hot dog vendors, you must tell us where your mobile unit is normally kept within the Gloucester city area on your registration form.​​

If you've any questions, contact the Food Team.


Tacit Consent

Tacit consent applies. The legislation requires only that the city council process your application for you to be registered.



Appeal is not applicable as there is a strict legal duty to register.



Registration is complete when the Food Authority (Gloucester City Council) receives a completed application form.


Approval of Food Premises

You may also need to apply for approval of food premises, if you intend to use unprocessed products of animal origin (fresh meat, raw minced meat, raw milk or eggs).​