Food Export Certificates

If you have a food business and wish to export your produce, you may be required to have a food export health certificate by the country of destination.

Apply for a food export health certificate

Firstly, contact the embassy or consulate of the country you wish to export to and they will supply the details and format required for the certificate. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office website allows you to search for an embassy.

You should then contact us and provide us with this information.

Please note that we will not supply a certificate unless you have registered your food business.

We will inspect your business to verify that the food is produced in compliance with UK legislation and may make additional checks, depending on the required wording of the certificate.

Additional information

  • We shall always try and incorporate the wording indicated on your form but we obviously cannot include wording that implies that we vouch for the safety of the individual batch/consignment of food. Our wording normally reflects the fact that your foodstuffs are produced and/stored in premises subject to our jurisdiction as a food authority, and which have been subject to a satisfactory inspection programme.
  • We reserve the right to decline to issue a certificate if we are dissatisfied with hygiene standards and practices conducted on your premises.
  • You will receive your certificate through the post unless you have specifically requested to collect it from the council.


Certificates cost £35 each for up to eight items/products. Additional items will require an additional certificate.