Apply for Housing Benefit

Do you qualify and what information we need from you.

You can make a new claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax support.

If you’re receiving Universal Credit you’ll still need to make a new claim for Council Tax support.


What do I need to make a new claim?

You’ll need to let us have the following:

  • details of any benefits you already receive
  • your National Insurance number
  • details of any outstanding or previous claims


What evidence do I need?

When you make an online claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax support we’ll tell you the documents we need to see.

As you fill in the online form, you may be able to upload documents to support your new claim before sending it. If your claim is classed as a complex case, we may still need you to send original proofs by post.

If you do not have a document to hand or cannot upload it, still complete the online form answering the questions as accurately as possible.

If you’re asked to provide evidence after completing the application you must let us have this within one month of making the claim. Please make sure any evidence is up to date.


How do I apply?

You can start a new claim

Apply now

or, if you've already started your claim online.

Continue with a saved form