Universal Credit

Universal Credit helps people who are on a low income or out of work with their living costs. It brings together 6 benefits and tax credits and replaces them with a single monthly payment.

Universal Credit is administered by the Department of Work and Pensions and you need to apply for it online.

Apply for Universal Credit

Universal Credit replaces the following benefits:

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

If you currently get any of these benefits, you’ll continue to receive them until:

  • you’ve a change of circumstances you need to report
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) contacts you about moving to Universal Credit

Discretionary Housing Payment

If your Universal Credit payment is not enough to pay your rent, you may be able to claim a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP). We assess every case individually by looking at the finances and personal circumstances of the person making the claim.

Council Tax support

If you apply for Universal Credit you’ll need to make an application for Council Tax support separately through the council.

Apply for Council Tax support

Help us improve Gloucester City Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.