We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue we'll assume that you are happy to accept cookies.

Skip to main content

Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

Discretionary Housing Payments may provide extra money if you need help with your housing costs. We assess every case individually by looking at the finances and personal circumstances of the person making the claim.

Do I qualify?

You can apply for DHP if you’re receiving Housing Benefit or the housing costs element of Universal Credit and you need help with:

  • shortfalls in rent
  • rent in advance payments
  • help with moving costs
  • a deposit to help secure rented accommodation
  • rent arrears which may be stopping you from moving to a more suitable property

How do I apply?


You can upload your completedapplication form through My Gloucester if you've linked your Housing Benefit account.

How to link your account?

First you'll need to sign up to My Gloucester and sign in, then you can link your Housing Benefit account.

Sign up for My Gloucester

Already registered?

Sign in to My Gloucester


Download and complete the form and send to us at benefits@gloucester.gov.uk. You must include the Housing Benefit claim reference number and your National Insurance number and the word reference in the subject of your email. For example 'Reference [Your Housing Benefit claim reference number]'


Download and complete the form and send to us at Gloucester City Revenues & Benefits, PO Box 2017, Pershore, Worcestershire, WR10 9BJ

Help us improve Gloucester City Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.