Support & Advice

Support through Gloucester City Council

You can apply for housing benefit to help with your rental payments through the council. Housing benefit is for people that have reached state pension age and those that live in supported/temporary accommodation. If neither of these apply you will need to apply for universal credit.  Find out more if you can claim.

A Discretionary Housing Payment is available to help with rental costs. Although the fund is limited we encourage residents who need it to apply. It is for those in receipt of Housing Benefit or the housing cost part of universal credit. Find out more

You can apply for Council Tax Support to help with council tax payments.  The support is means tested.  Find out more Council Tax support - Gloucester City Council.

If you’re struggling to pay your council tax please talk to us as early as you can. The sooner you talk to us the more we can do to help. You may be eligible for a discount or extended instalment period. Email, please include the word 'reference' and your ten digit council tax account number beginning with 030 in the subject line. 

Gloucestershire Welfare Support Scheme

The fund provides practical support to eligible adults and families for food, gas/electricity top ups and household items such as furniture including white goods/appliances and furniture.

Call 0330 123 5550 or email or for more information visit

Help for Households

Government information on help that’s available for households to help with the rising cost of living.

Help if you, or someone you know, is suffering domestic abuse 

Domestic abuse is a pattern of abusive and controlling behaviour. It is any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse (psychological, physical, sexual, financial or emotional)

If you or someone you know is being abused contact Gloucestershire Domestic Abuse Support Service on 01452 726 570 or visit If there's a risk to life, please call 999 or text 999


Mental health services support through the NHS. Available to all households but you may need a referral from your GP. For more info visit how to access mental health services.

Young Gloucestershire 

Counselling by phone and via online chat for 16 to 25 year olds facing challenges with their mental and emotional wellbeing. Young people can be referred or can refer themselves. For more information, please visit

Teens in Crisis 

FREE professional support for children, young people aged between 9 and 21 and their families. Available to all households across the city. For more info visit

Gloucestershire Counselling Service 

Individual, child and family and couple counselling support. Available to all households at an affordable cost. For more info contact 01453 766310 or visit

Bredan's Bridge 

Mental health support including counselling, crisis recovery, anxiety support and mentoring. Available to all households, self-referrals are possible. For more info contact

Parents and Carers Alliance 

Independent practical and emotional support for parents and carers. Available to all family households. For more info visit