Personal licences

Coronavirus (COVID-19

Due to the current situation please submit applications by email which should be sent to:

This enables the holder to sell or authorise the sale or supply of alcohol at any premise that is licensed for that purpose under a Premises Licence. The licence will remain in force indefinitely unless it is surrendered, suspended or forfeited.

Why you need a personal licence

A personal licence authorises a specified person to supply alcohol or allow the supply of alcohol at a premise which has a valid premise licence.

Personal licences are needed to supervise the sale of alcohol in any licensed premises – including pubs, off licences, restaurants and hotels.

How to apply

You must apply to the licensing authority for the area where you live, not the licensing authority in which you work. You can download the guidance notes and application form below. These explain the requirements you must comply with.

Application fee

The application fee is £37.

New applications

Download, complete and return the application form and supporting documents below

You will also need to enclose the following:

One of the following:

  1. a criminal conviction certificate issued under section 112 of the Police Act 1997(a)
  2. a criminal record certificate issued under section 113A of the Police Act 1997
  3. the results of a subject access search under the Data Protection Act 1998(b) of the Police National Computer by the National Identification Service

A basic criminal record check can be obtained from the Disclosure and  Barring Service. For further details call 0300 020 0190.

N.B. Any certificate or search results shall be not more than one calendar month old at the time the personal licence application is lodged with the Licensing Authority.

  • Copy of applicant's licensing qualification

The following qualifications are currently accredited and would be acceptable:

  • BIIAB Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders, QCA Accreditation Number: 100/4866/2
  • GOAL Level 2 Certificate for Personal Licence Holders, QCA Accreditation Number: 100/4865/0

For further information about Personal Licences and up to date information on accredited courses check the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport website and go to "Licensing Act 2003 explained" - "Personal Licences".​

Lost or stolen personal licences

If either your licence card, paper licence or both have been lost or stolen you must report this to the licensing authority. To obtain replacement licences or parts write to:

Gloucester City Council
City Centre Improvement
PO Box 3252

Please include details as to what has happened and return the parts of your licence which have not been stolen. Please enclose a cheque for £10.50 to Gloucester City Council. We will send you your replacement licence by post.

Change of address

If you change your address you must inform the Licensing Authority. You need to send your card and paper licence to:

Gloucester City Council, 
City Centre Improvement 
PO Box 3252

Please enclose a cheque for £10.50 to Gloucester City Council. We will send you your replacement licence by post.

Help us improve Gloucester City Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.