Temporary events notices

What is it?

This allows the temporary sale of alcohol, or the provision of regulated entertainment, or late night refreshment from a premises not covered by a premises licence or a club premises certificate. It involves a simple notification to the local authority and the local police.

You will need to apply for a permitted Temporary Event Notice (TEN) if:

  • you wish to lawfully carry out licensable activities at premises which do not have a premises licence or club premises certificate; or
  • the activity or the times at which it is to be carried out are not specified on an existing premises licence or club premises certificate.

Licensable activities (subject to certain exceptions) are:

  • The sale and supply of alcohol.
  • Regulated entertainment (such as music, singing or dancing).
  • Provision of late night refreshment.

Are there any limitations to a Temporary Event Notice?

Please note - 2022 and 2023 applications increases

In 2022 and 2023 limits will increase to a maximum of 20 TENs per year for the same premises. There will be an overall limit of no more than 26 event days.

The maximum number of people attending must be under 500 and the event must not last any longer than 168 hours or 7 days and cover any more than 21 days in any one calendar year. Only 15 per annum may be held at any one specific premises. Any person aged 18 or over may apply for a maximum of 5 in any one year. A personal licence holder may apply for a maximum of 50 in any one year.

The guidance notes​ provide further information about TENs including the licensable activities, application process and fee, limitations of use and who can object to a TEN. We advise you to consider this guidance before making the application.

For your information

Gloucestershire consists of six Local Licensing Authorities.

Before you submit your Temporary Event Notice to Gloucester City Council you need to make sure the premises in which you want to hold the TEN falls within the Boundary of Gloucester City.

If you're unsure of this or need further information you can contact the Licensing Team on 01452 396 396.​

Apply via .GOV 

Download your application

Send your completed form to licensing@gloucester.gov.uk the Licensing Team together with proof of payment which can be made online at www.gloucester.gov.uk/contact-us/pay-for-it/ or over the phone by calling 01452 396396. We must receive the form at least 10 clear working days before the event is to take place in order for us to issue a Standard TEN. If we do not receive the form within the 10 day deadline, we can accept them up to five clear working days before the event, but no later. This will be classed as a Late TEN.

Please note: Clear working days prior to the event taking place does not include the day that the notice is served, the day of the event itself, or weekends and that the fee is not refundable.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your notice is granted if you have not heard from us after 10 working days.