We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue we'll assume that you are happy to accept cookies.

Planning Enforcement

We are keen to ensure that we are not putting people at risk by undertaking unnecessary site visits. Should you wish to raise a planning enforcement matter, please email planning.enforcement@gloucester.gov.uk with as much information as you have (photographs, written records, times/dates etc.) of matters you wish us to investigate.

For very urgent enforcement matters, we will continue to visit sites if considered safe following a risk assessment.

Planning Enforcement

Why Planning Enforcement?

  • Gives the public confidence in the development control process.
  • Gives the Council powers to protect the built and historic environment and residents’ quality of life.
  • Discourages unauthorised development and ensures effective compliance with planning permissions.
  • More information can be found in the City’s Enforcement Policy Document.

A Commitment to Public Protection

  • Formal enforcement action will be taken where the breach is proven, demonstrably causes harm, and where it is in the public interest to do so.
  • Will take reasonable and proportionate action where planning breaches are evidenced.
  • There are a number of powers available to the City Council, some of which provide a right of appeal.
  • Notices served are recorded on the Council’s Enforcement Register and copies of each Notice can be provided upon request or viewed in public access​.

Helping us to help you

To enable the Council to more effectively address the most serious planning breaches, we ask you to consider the following information before making your enquiry;

Not planning enforcement

The Council does not (usually) have powers to deal with the following through its planning enforcement function:

  • Breach of covenant (Civil matter)
  • Party Wall etc Act
  • Boundary disputes / encroachment (unless onto Council Land)
  • Overhanging guttering (Council’s Building Control team)
  • Noise complaints (Council’s Environmental Health team)
  • Internal works to a non-listed building
  • Obstruction of a highway or public right of way
  • Parking a caravan within the residential boundary of a property provided that it is ancillary to the dwelling
  • High hedge disputes - these are dealt with by City Council’s Tree Officer
  • Health and Safety Issues (dangerous structures by building control otherwise Health and Safety Executive)

No further action

The Council cannot or does not usually take action in the following cases, where:

Reporting a Potential Planning Breach

  • Before making a complaint please consider if the breach is something you could resolve by speaking with the person you feel is causing the breach.
  • Unless there are exceptional circumstance, the council will normally only investigate complaints in writing or by email, with your contact details.
  • All enquiry contact details will remain confidential.

Please provide the following information;

  • Provide the exact location of the land/property.
  • Description of the breach.
  • What harm is being caused.
  • Where known, the names and contact details of persons involved.
  • In the case of an alleged unauthorised use – what activity is taking place, how often and when
  • Dates when the development took place or the activity started.

You can submit your enquiry in a number of ways:

  • Report It’ through the City Council webpage
  • Email to planning.enforcement@gloucester.gov.uk
  • Send a letter in the post to Planning Enforcement Team, Gloucester City Council PO Box 3252 Gloucester GL1 9FW

The standards to which we aspire to are included within the Planning Enforcement Customer Service Standards​​.

An accountable and transparent service​​


Help us improve Gloucester City Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.