Emerging Joint Strategic Plan
The Joint Strategic Plan (JSP) is a partnership between Gloucester City Council, Cheltenham Borough Council and Tewkesbury Borough Council, which sets out a strategic planning framework for the three areas.
Since the Joint Core Strategy (JCS) was adopted in December 2017, Gloucester City, Cheltenham Borough and Tewkesbury Borough councils’ have been working towards a review of the plan. This continues to be a collaborative strategic development plan of the three areas and includes a close working relationship with Gloucestershire County Council and neighbouring authorities on relevant strategic planning matters.
Why a review is needed
When the JCS was adopted, a commitment was made to undertake an immediate review in relation to housing supply for Gloucester City and Tewkesbury Borough, and retail/town centres policies for all areas.
In July 2018, when the JCS ‘Issues and Options’ consultation document was published, the government also published a revised National Planning Policy Framework, which placed new requirements on local plan-making. Since then, a further revision has emerged (January 2019) and amendments to national guidance have also developed. Local authorities are now required to review their local plans at least every five years.
Fundamentally, the JCS Review will look again at:
- Future growth needs
- The best strategy for delivering growth
- The allocation of strategic sites to help meet needs
- Evaluate policies in the adopted JCS to ensure effectiveness and consistency with the NPPF
Issues and Options Consultation, October 2018
The JCS authorities held an ‘Issues and Options’ consultation from October 2018 to January 2019.
Since the consultation closed in January 2019:
- A dedicated team has been appointed to work on the JCS Review, working collaboratively with all three JCS authorities
- Gloucestershire County Council are working closely with the JCS Team and other key partners
- The consultation responses have been read and summarised
- Evidence-gathering to support the plan’s preparation has been completed
- Further evidence has been commissioned and is being progressed
- Workshops have taken place with development management colleagues across the three JCS authorities to review the adopted JCS policies
- The proposed strategy for growth is emerging following work with our key partners, and evaluation of the evidence and responses to the Issues and Options consultation
Where are we now?
We are preparing a draft plan for consultation. The timetable is progressing and a new Local Development Scheme will be made available shortly.
The evidence currently available to download is set out below.
What happens next?
Further evidence and supporting documents are being prepared and finalised to support the JCS Review.
Click here to register for notifications.