Gloucester City plan
Adoption of Gloucester City Plan
The Gloucester City Plan 2011-2031 was adopted by Full Council on 26th January 2023.
The policies map will be amended to take account of a boundary change at 67-69 London Road. The correct boundary can be found in the Gloucester City Plan 2011-2031.
Documents can be viewed online or by appointment at 'The Gateway, 92-96 Westgate Street, Gloucester, GL12PE, during normal office hours. Hard copies can also be requested (subject to charge). To arrange an appointment, request a hard copy, or if you require access to the documents in an alternative format, please telephone 01452 396396 and ask for Planning Policy, or email email@example.com .
Inspector's Final Report
The Inspector’s report was issued on 9 November 2022 and concluded that the Plan as submitted is sound and legally compliant, subject to the Inspector’s Main Modifications.
The view details of the Examination click here.
What is the Gloucester City Plan?
Gloucester is a transforming, growing and regeneration City. Together with theJoint Core Strategy (JCS), the Gloucester City Plan (GCP) will continue Gloucester's regeneration journey by providing the development framework to guide the City's future growth up to 2031.
The GCP delivers the JCS at the local level but will also set out policies that seek to address local issues and opportunities in the City. It will identify where and how new development will taken place to make sure requirements are met, and new developments positively contribute to the City's needs.
It will also set out a framework for managing and enhancing the historic and natural environment such as open spaces, areas of recreation and the historic environment.
The GCP is underpinned by a significant number of evidence studies. For more information, view the evidence base pages.
What's happened so far?
The City Council has already written and consulted on several parts of the GCP. These are:
- Scope Gloucester City Plan – 2011 (Regulation 18): This consultation set out the context for the Plan and the key issues for Gloucester. It sought views on the types of planning policies that should be included in the Plan and the areas that should be identified for development or protection.
- Part 1 Gloucester City Plan ‘Context and Key Principles’ – 2012 (Regulation 18): Part 1 took the Scope further, explaining in more detail the issues that Gloucester faces and setting out a number of 'key principles' that the GCP would seek to deliver.
- Part 2 Gloucester City Plan ‘Places, Sites and City Centre Strategy’ – 2013 (Regulation 18): Part 2 focused on the development needs of the City and started looking at potential site allocations as well as a draft City Centre Strategy.
- Draft Gloucester City Local Plan - 2017 (Regulation 18): Part 3. This draft included the development management policies and the potential site allocations.
- Pre-submission Gloucester City Plan - 2019 (Regulation 19): was approved for public consultation by the City Council on 26th September 2019, under Regulation 19 of The Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012. A public consultation was held which closed on Feb 14th 2020.
- Submission (Regulation 20): The Gloucester City Plan was submitted to the Planning Inspectorate for an Examination in Public. November 2020.
- Examination in Public:
- Hearing sessions held during May and June 2021
- Inspector's initial findings received August 2021
- Main Modifications consultation held 16th May to 4th July 2022
At each stage comments from local residents, businesses, organisations and national bodies have been sought and their views reported in a response report. Copies of the consultation documents, associated documents and response reports can be downloaded below.
The Pre-Submission Gloucester City Plan was approved for public consultation by the City Council on 26th September 2019, under Regulation 19 of The Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012. A public consultation was held which closed on 14th February 2020. The Gloucester City Plan was submitted to the Planning Inspectorate 18th November 2020. More information can be found on the Examination web page.
Scope Gloucester City Plan – 2011 (Regulation 18)
- Scope Gloucester City Plan - 2011 (Regulation 18)
- Scope Gloucester City Plan 2011 Consultation Report - October 2011
Part 1 Gloucester City Plan ‘Context and Key Principles’ – 2012 (Regulation 18)
- City Plan Part 1: Consultation document
- City Plan Part 1: Sustainability Appraisal Statement
- City Plan Part 1: Response Report, November 2016
Part 2 Gloucester City Plan ‘Places, Sites and City Centre Strategy’ – 2013 (Regulation 18)
- Part 2 Gloucester City Plan 'Places, Sites and City Centre Strategy - 2013 Consultation Document
- Sustainability Appraisal
- Part 2 Gloucester City Plan 2013: Response Report
Draft Gloucester City Plan - 2017 (Regulation 18)
- Draft Gloucester City Plan - 2017 (Regulation 18) Consultation Documents
- Draft Gloucester City Plan - 2017 (Regulation 18): Response Report
Pre-submission Gloucester City Plan - 2019 (Regulation 19)
Examination in Public
- To view the Examination page please click here
Main Modifications Consultation
Following examination hearing sessions during May/June 2021, the Inspector's 'post hearing letter' was received in August 2021, setting out her initial findings. This concludes the GCP is legally compliant, has met the duty to cooperate and unsound. However, it but can be made sound with 'Main Modifications'.
A consultation on the proposed Main Modifications and policy map changes was held between the 16th May and 4th July 2022.
If you would like any further information about Gloucester City Plan, you can complete an online form or phone us.
Phone: 01452 396396
If you would like to join our database to be notified of future consultations please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone on the above number and ask for the Planning Policy Team. Our data protection information can be found here.