Complaints About Health and Safety Regulatory Advice

If you wish to challenge a formal enforcement notice that has been served on you by a Gloucester City Council inspector (i.e. an improvement notice or prohibition notice) then there is a specified legal process you must follow. You should be notified of this when a notice is served on you. You must make any appeal promptly because there are strict time limits.

If you're being prosecuted by Gloucester City Council then you'll be able to challenge the council through the courts. Gloucester City Council has to provide you with certain information in advance to allow you to defend yourself.

If you have contact with Gloucester City Council and are unhappy with the way we have dealt with you, just let us know. We want to work with you to find a solution and will always welcome suggestions to help improve our performance.

If an inspector has given you written advice and required you to take action to put matters right (but has not served an enforcement notice) and you disagree then in the first instance you should ​discuss this with them.

If you cannot sort out the problem with the person you've been dealing with, ask them for the name of their manager. You can then ask to speak, or if you prefer, write to them. They'll investigate your complaint and tell you what they are going to do about it.

Gloucester City Council has a corporate complaints procedure (PDF, 100.3 KB)​ for you to raise your complaint if you are not satisfied with the response to seek a resolution.

If you're still not satisfied after raising the matter with Gloucester City Council under the corporate complaints procedure you can seek resolution by:

You can also:

  • write and ask your MP to take up your case with them or with Ministers
  • ask the Local Government Ombudsman to review your complaint. Their role is to consider complaints about councils (and other organisations) not acting properly or fairly or having provided a poor service
  • go to Judicial review


Complaints About Unsafe Working Conditions

If you consider that your employer (or someone else's) work activity is putting your safety at risk or damaging your health, then you should raise your concerns with that employer or person. If no improvement is made and your safety or health continues to be at risk, then you can report your complaint to the relevant enforcing authority.

Check who is responsible for enforcing health and safety in the workplace (PDF, 16.5 KB) that you're concerned about.

How can you resolve your concerns?

If you're an employee and you think the law is being broken, or minimum standards are ignored within your workplace, you can:

  • speak to your employer and try to resolve the issue, and/or
  • contact your work/safety representative, or your trade union safety representative who can try to resolve the issue for you

If you're a member of the public and you think a person's health and safety is being put at risk, you can directly contact their employer to raise your concerns with them.

How to make a complaint

View details on how to make a complaint.

What happens after a complaint is made to the local authority?

Download our document (PDF, 40.2 KB) that details what happens after a complaint has been made.