We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue we'll assume that you are happy to accept cookies.

Skip to main content

Charity Collections

Street Collections

Street Collections are governed by the Police, Factories etc. (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916. The model street collection regulations contained within the Charitable Collections (Transitional Provisions) Order 1974 have been adopted by the Council. These regulate the times and ways in which collections in a street take place.

If you wish to collect money or sell related articles for any charitable cause in any street you will require a permit to do so. Organisations/Charities wishing to collect by direct debit are required to submit an application for a street collection permit.

Application Form


The council has the power to decide how many of these licences are actually granted in a year. Any breach of the regulations is a criminal offence and the person concerned can be liable to a fine not exceeding £200.

Permits are limited to 52 full day collections on Saturdays only (specific exceptions may apply). Only one charity is issued with a full day permit for each day

Applications should be made by the September of the previous year.

2 Hour transitory permits may be issued for charity events that are passing through the City i.e. sponsored walks etc. applications for theses permits must detail the route to be taken (and take into account the pedestrianised areas if a vehicle is involved).

The criteria for allocating a permit are:

  • Each charity should have ‘one bit of the cherry’ in any one year.
  • Proceeds must be properly accounted for. Any organisation or individual failing to do so will forfeit the right to a further permit.
  • Permits should be allocated predominantly to local organizations/those benefitting local people.

If you require any further information concerning the above please contact Business Support

House to house collections

House to house collection licences are issued under the House to House collections Act 1939, under the regulations of 1947 (as amended).

There are two types of house to house collection –

  • Those that have an exemption certificate from the Home Office
  • Those licensed by the local authority.

If you wish to make charitable collections (money or goods) on a house to house basis within any locality within Gloucester City you will need a licence from the Council. The only exemption from this is for certain nationally recognised charities that hold a Home Office exemption certificate.

Those with exemption certificates should simply write and tell us when they are collecting and the details will be recorded in the diary.

For those applying for a licence, we check home many other collections are booked during the period requested / lesser known charities will be asked to send information about their organization together with a copy of their last available statement of accounts.

When the application form is returned with any information requested, and provided this is satisfactory, we issue a licence and a certificate, together with a form for detailing the returns.

If you require any further information concerning the above please contact the Environmental Health Team.

Help us improve Gloucester City Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.