Apply for a Private Hire Operator Licence

New guidance for applicants 

The rules for completing a tax check changed on 4 April 2022 in England and Wales.

Please read the guidance information to check if you need to complete a tax check to renew a taxi driver, private hire or scrap metal licence, or to apply for the same type of licence with a different licensing authority.

Private Hire Operators

A private hire operator is a person making provision in the course of a business for the invitation or acceptance of bookings for Private Hire vehicles. Private Hire Operators are based at premises throughout the City and normally accept bookings over the telephone.​

An operator must keep records of vehicles, drivers and all bookings at their operator base.

The business address must be based within Gloucester City Council boundaries and must only employ drivers or vehicles that are licensed with Gloucester City Council.​

How to apply

The application fee must be paid in full when you submit your application. A copy of the payment receipt must be produced upon application to demonstrate the correct fee had been paid. 

Payments for licences can no longer be taken in Reception and applicants must pay in one of the following ways:

Operator fees vary dependant on the number of vehicles used within the fleet. Operators may also apply to take bookings from an additional premises within the City at an extra charge e.g. from a busy nightclub.

  • Operators must complete a basic criminal record check unless they have applied for an enhanced criminal record check whilst applying for a private hire drivers licence. For further information regarding the basic criminal record check please read the guidance notes (PDF, 169.6 KB)

Renewal of a Private Hire Operator Licence

Please use this form to renew your existing Private Hire Operator Licence;


Planning permission

To operate a private hire​ company you will need to apply for planning permission to make sure that if your business is run from home, it will not cause nuisance or obstruction to your neighbours.


Type of work that requires an operators’ licence

Any pre-booked work such as airport transfers, hen or stag nights or work of a similar nature.

If your private hire vehicle is equipped to carry up to eight passengers, it can work under a private operator’s licence from the council. Anything above eight seats requires the licence to be obtained from the Driving and Vehicle Standards Agency.

Additional application forms:

Apply for replacement plates, badge or stickers​​ (PDF, 220.2 KB)

Apply to change name or address of licence holder (DOCX, 84.5 KB)

Further details on vehicles and operators can be found on our factsheets:

Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Vehicles - A guide for passengers (PDF, 136.4 KB)

Children travelling in taxis and Private Hire cars (PDF, 120.3 KB)