Planning site visits: Householder applications

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, we are unable to undertake physical site visits for most planning applications.

Therefore, to assist with a virtual site visit, applicants are requested to provide photos for householder planning applications. Depending on the location of the proposed works, it is recommended that the following photos be submitted with householder applications for planning permission.

More information on what photos we require. 

Do I Need Planning Permission?

Do I need Planning Permission?

It depends on what you want to do. Some minor alterations and extensions, particularly to houses, can often be carried out without the need for planning permission. Such work is known as permitted development. other work, particularly non-domestic development is likely to require permission.

Some alteration and extensions to your house commonly require planning permission.

These include;

A dormer window in the roof of your house facing the road

  • Most two storey extensions
  • Putting up some outbuildings and structure
  • Changes in the use of land of buildings

Our Home Extension Guide will help if planning is required.

The rules may also be more restrictive if you live in a conservation area.

Explore the Planning Portal's Interactive House or Interactive Terrace​ for guidance on permitted development and many common householder projects.

Further guidance can be found from The Planning Portal

Pre-Application Advice

If you would like the Council to consider your proposals before you submit an application, we offer a Pre-Application Advice​ service. For more information and to download an application form please see our pages regarding the service.​

Help us improve Gloucester City Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.