New planning fees

Planning fees are increasing on 6 December 2023

New planning fees

Planning Applications FAQs

Submitting an application

Some minor alterations and extensions, particularly to houses can be carried out without the need for planning permission. This work is known as permitted development. See our do I need planning permission page for more information on what requires planning permission

For a fee, you can ask us if your building works require planning permission through a certificate of lawfulness application

There are multiple ways to apply for planning permission. Before you submit your application, use our validation checklists validation checklists to ensure that you have prepared all the required documents.

Once you have all the documents required for validation, you can submit an application

The fees associated with all types of development can be viewed via the Planning Portal fee calculator 

The majority of application forms are available on the Planning Portal .

Pre-Application forms are available here

Our pre-application advice page  provides information on how you can apply for pre-application advice and what you can expect from this service.

Building Regulations and Town and Country Planning are completely separate. Building Regulation applications have the purpose of having details of your development checked and approved for compliance with the standards of construction.

For any building regulations enquiries please contact the Gloucestershire Building Control Partnership


The decision process

Once we have received your application, we will make sure we have all the details we need. You can view what is needed to validate an application by using our validation checklists

We will then send or your agent an acknowledgement letter or email, this will provide a date by which we aim to issue a decision, the name of the planning officer and the application number. In most cases we will contact neighbours likely to be affected by the proposal and provide them with the opportunity to comment on the proposals. We may also put up a site or press notice if required by planning law.

Technical consultees may be required to comment on applications, for example Highways, Historic England, Environment Agency, Severn Trent, etc.

If we need more information, we will write to your planning agent (if you have one). An application will be returned if we do not receive the necessary information within the required timescale.

The Planning Officer may require more information or request changes to the application.

The Planning Officer will assess the application. They will write a summary report which includes a recommendation based on:

Local Plan policy;

Government guidance;

Planning history;

Any potential detrimental impacts as a result of the development e.g. unacceptable loss of light, privacy or outlook for neighbouring properties;

Comments from technical consultees;

Comments from neighbours.

Once a householder application has been validated, you will normally get a decision within eight weeks. This is dependent on officers’ workload, consultee responses, amendments and correspondence with planning agents and architects. Where possible, the council will ask for amendments to address any concerns. In these cases, an extension of time will be required and it is unlikely that a decision will be made within 8 weeks.

The statutory time for determination of major applications is 13 weeks or 16 weeks if an environmental impact assessment has been submitted. However, similar to householder applications, where possible, the council will ask for amendments to address any concerns. In these cases, an extension of time will be required and it is unlikely that a decision will be made within 13 or 16 weeks.

Adjoining neighbours must be consulted on applications. In addition to neighbours, technical consultees may be required to comment on applications, for example Historic England, Severn Trent, Highways etc. All comments received will be considered before making a decision on an application

The Council will normally only send letters to adjoining neighbours to the application site. Some applications require additional neighbours to be notified. You do not have to receive a letter to comment on the application. This can be done on our website

If you have concerns about a planning application and wish to comment, the Planning Officer will consider material considerations. The Planning Portal has guidance on what is considered a material planning consideration

Neighbors have 21 days to comment on planning applications. You will also have 21 days to comment on an application online.

We guarantee that all relevant comments received within 21 days will be considered as part of the planning application process.

For most types of applications the Planning Officer assigned to your application will need to carry out a site visit in order to carry out an appraisal. The Planning Authority will contact the person stated in the application form.

The Council is required to make decisions on applications in accordance with the Development plan

There are also supplementary documents that are taken into consideration, these can be viewed on Planning Policy

If a planning application is to be determined at committee, the application will be published 5 working days before the date of the meeting. Please see our Planning Committee Agendas.

All ‘interested parties’ are advised when an application is going to Planning Committee, approximately a week before the committee meeting. The interested parties are the applicant or their agent and all people who have made written representations about the proposal.

Members of the public can attend Planning Committees and arrangements for public speaking are set out the Planning Committee Public Speaking Leaflet.

At Planning Committee the Planning Officer will present the application and state the reasons for their recommendation. Further information on what happens at Planning Committee is available here.


Post decision

In most cases, you will have three years in which to start the development for which permission is granted. We strongly advise that you check any conditions attached to your permission, and comply with them before you proceed. Some conditions require discharging before development can start. Any changes to your plans are likely to require a further application. More information is available on the National Planning Practice Guidance website .

Further consent may also be required for works to listed buildings or works in conservation areas.

Applicants can appeal to the Secretary of State within 8 weeks of the date of the decision for advertisements, 12 weeks for householder proposals or six months in most other cases. The Planning Inspectorate provide further information on appeals:

Making an Appeal


Permitted development

Some minor works can be carried out without applying for planning permission. These are known as permitted development rights.

See the planning portal for extensive information on permitted development rights: Do you need permission?

The Government has also prepared a helpful document: technical guidance for householder permitted development rights

Some of your permitted development rights may have been withdrawn. Check the planning history of your property here before undertaking any works. Permitted development rights might have been removed on the original planning permission for your house.

Permitted development rights may be different in a conservation area. Details of conservation area boundaries are available in the “Conservation Area Appraisal and Management” documents available  here

 Permitted development rights may also be different for a listed building. Check whether your property is listed here

Single-storey rear extensions can be 8 metres for detached houses, and 6 metres for any other type of house.  This scheme does not apply to dwellings in conservation areas or within a site of special scientific interest. nor does it apply to flats or maisonettes Or any property that has had its permitted development rights removed.  The Council must be notified in advance using the relevant form.

The Council will consult the adjoining neighbours. If your neighbours raise any concerns or objections, we will decide if their objections reveal any impact on the amenity of the neighbouring properties and whether your plans can go ahead.

 Guidance on the scheme and application forms are available on the Planning Portal  Notification of a Proposed Larger Home Extension

The deadline for completion for extensions under this scheme is the 30th May 2019.

For guidance on whether you require permission to repair or replace windows or door, please see the Planning Portal windows and doors

You can find the permitted use of a site by requesting Pre-application advice

The Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 (as amended) puts uses of land and buildings into various categories known as 'Use Classes'. It is likely that permission would be required to change from one use to another.

The Planning Portal provides detailed guidance on use classes and what requires planning permission. Change of Use

Your neighbour may have not needed planning permission under permitted development. Please see link for further information on permitted development

See link for  information on the failure to obtain or comply with planning permission

Further information on how the Council deals with works undertaken without the necessary planning permission is available on our website  

You can find details about non council owned land here 


Dropped kerbs and hard surfaces within a garden

You will need to contact us in the whether you live on a classified road or not.

If the access or dropped kerb is on a classified road it will require an application for planning permission.

If the access or dropped kerb is not on a classified road it is dealt with under  Pre-application advice

Planning permission may be required for hard surfaces within the garden of a dwelling. Please see the Planning Portal guidance on hard surfaces .

There is also government guidance to permeable surfacing of front gardens